• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes, these tend to be a farmer's market thing, since they're so perishable. There are a couple of newer hybrid varieties I do see in stores, but nowhere near as good as a good Concord.

I was unaware the old concords are not available. We get our fill from some we put in the garden 25yrs ago. Not much. 20 pounds maybe. I'm terrible at pruning and tending. The seeds are horribly toxic to dogs so I have to fence the whole thing during ripening. 

Question about those that use FreshDirect. They have been around some 20 years and many friends have used them that long. I tried the first time last year first days of lockdown and we were pleased. Then no delivery dates were/have been available for months so gave up. Just checked and they seem back to normal but reviews are not so great. (maybe pandemic related?). I realize so many complain for various reasons due to circumstances out of the suppliers control. Wondering if it is risky to order certain things like oysters. 

We have been using Baldor since they announced in the NYTimes they would deliver residential mid-March 2020. I fear they may stop that soon being a 'restaurant delivery only' pre-pandemic. We would see their trucks early AM all over NYC for years. We have ordered consistency every two-three months since the beginning. No delivery charges but the minimum is high. No issues there since we stock the pantry like a Costco haul. (only have used Costco insta-cart twice...when t-p came back in stock... and Amazon twice). Insta-cart add-on fees really add up. I appreciate all the shoppers and delivery but not thrilled with how insta-cart treats their shoppers. 

Baldor has excellent product, customer service and the delivery drivers are over the top accommodating. Thrilled to keep their jobs during all this mess. NYC restaurant chef are picky and check everything as it comes in the door. 

Annie_H

Annie_H

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes, these tend to be a farmer's market thing, since they're so perishable. There are a couple of newer hybrid varieties I do see in stores, but nowhere near as good as a good Concord.

I was unaware the old concords are not available. We get our fill from some we put in the garden 25yrs ago. Not much. 20 pounds maybe. I'm terrible at pruning and tending. The seeds are horribly toxic to dogs so I have to fence the whole thing during ripening. 

Question about those that use FreshDirect. They have been around some 20 years and many friends have used them that long. I tried the first time last year first days of lockdown and we were pleased. Then no delivery dates were/have been available for months so gave up. Just checked and they seem back to normal but reviews are not so great. (maybe pandemic related?). I realize so many complain for various reasons due to circumstances out of the suppliers control. Wondering if it is risky to order certain things like oysters. 

We have been using Baldor since they announced in the NYTimes they would deliver residential mid-March 2020. I fear they may stop that soon being a 'restaurant delivery only' pre-pandemic. We would see their trucks early AM all over NYC for years. Link, HERE We have ordered consistency every two-three months since the beginning. No delivery charges but the minimum is high. No issues there since we stock the pantry like a Costco haul. (only have used Costco insta-cart twice...when t-p came back in stock... and Amazon twice). Insta-cart add-on fees really add up. I appreciate all the shoppers and delivery but not thrilled with how insta-cart treats their shoppers. 

Baldor has excellent product, customer service and the delivery drivers are over the top accommodating. Thrilled to keep their jobs during all this mess. NYC restaurant chef are picky and check everything as it comes in the door.