• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rounding the menu

Soul_Venom

I have an excellent Kansas City style BBQ sauce optimized for chicken. It also go extremely well with mac and cheese. Between the mac & chicken we have sweet, tangy, spicy & creamy but they are also a bit heavy. I'm looking for a second side dish to round out the plate something lite to balance out the heaviness of the other 2 items. Unfortunately nothing is coming to mind. Here is my recipe for BBQ sauce if it helps:

BBQ sauce for Chicken

Step 1. Sautee a medium sized onion until lightly browned.

Step 2. In a blender combine, onions, one 7.5oz can of chipotle peppers in abobe sauce, 3 tbsp garlic, 2 quarts chicken stock & one 10oz jar of pickle relish

Step 3. In a large sauce pan comine the product of step 2 with: 1/2 cup mustard powder, 1/3 cup honey 3oz tomato paste, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/3 cup molasses one 20oz bottle of root beer 3/4 cup cider vinegar 2/3 cup brown sugar 3 tbsp paprika 1 tsp cumin three 15oz cans tomato sauce 1 tsp B. pepper 1 tbsp kosher salt Whisk this mix together, bring to a simmer and reduce to thicken. This will take some time. It may also require removing a spoonful here and there and allowing it to cool in order to properly guage thickness.

Step 4. Once the sauce is properly thickened remove from heat and stir in 3 tbsp of liquid smoke.

1 hour ago, Soul_Venom said:

Between the relish, the vinegar & the lemon juice it is rather tangy & acidic already but not terribly spicy. It is very well balanced

I was inferring that from the chipotle peppers.  Honestly ONE would make me check out, I can't imagine an entire can of them.  Maybe the apple salad or a creamy carrot-raisin salad.  I don't know - I tend to go traditional with BBQ.  Honestly, I grew up partially in NC and I'd most likely serve a congealed salad with it!  😁