• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Fof

Fof

First let me say I am NOT a cook.  I just mess around.

Over the years, I have eaten 'bread' in many places around the world.

One that always stuck in my mind was soda bread, because of its flavour.  Not a nice one.

I live on my own, with just an up & over fridge freezer, so limited storage.

I don't use a lot of bread, a large loaf will last me 2-3 weeks, so when I buy some, it takes up valuable freezer space.

Running around the web, I see LOTS of recipies for soda bread.  As the ones I had tried had probably been home made, and to personal taste, I decided to have a trial.

The first time, the recipe called for 100g-500g flour + 1tsp baking soda/100g flour.

HORRIBLE!

Checked another recipe - 500g flour + 1 tsp baking soda, ie <1/4 tsp/100g.

Retried the original but with <1/4tsp, but still the flavour is there, albeit greatly reduced.

How little baking soda can I get away with, without ending up with unleaven bread? 

Can the flavour be eliminated?

TIA

Fof

Fof

Fof

First let me say I am NOT a cook.  I just mess around.

Over the years, I have eaten 'bread' in many places around the world.

One that always stuck in my mind was soda bread, because of its flavour.  Not a nice one.

I live on my own, with just an up & over fridge freezer, so limited storage.

I don't use a lot of bread, a large loaf will last me 2-3 weeks, so when I buy some, it takes up valuable space.

Running around the web, I see LOTS of recipies for soda bread.  As the ones I had tried had probably been home made, and to personal taste, I decided to have a trial.

The first time, the recipe called for 100g-500g flour + 1tsp baking soda/100g flour.

HORRIBLE!

Checked another recipe - 500g flour + 1 tsp baking soda, ie <1/4 tsp/100g.

Retried the original but with <1/4tsp, but still the flavour is there, albeit greatly reduced.

How little baking soda can I get away with, without ending up with unleaven bread? 

Can the flavour be eliminated?

TIA

Fof