• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I hope everyone realizes that when you start using the cloud (or indeed any free web storage) that once you get over a certain size you are stuck with it.

No, I'm not stuck with anything.

Purchase, cancellation, & refund policies

My neighbor stores all his photos on the cloud. He now pays for extra space (only about $1 per month). He says "its only $1 month". I answer with "for now and even if it doesn't rise its $1 a month FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE", then we go and drink more wine.

Google offers 15GB free, and $1.99 per month for 100GB. That's a small price to pay for the extra space and the ability to access files anywhere.

BUT he has so many photos stored he can't download the lot and he can't actually view or find them randomly because there are just too many.

Just on that Google now stores your phone photos in a "new & better" format. All good, saves you space right. Well it turns out you need a google app to open them.

Photos CAN be organized (labeled in "info") and then put into albums and, if you wish, downloaded to your PC.

When they're downloaded you can open them in any program you wish.

You have even more control if you organize them into folders in Google Drive.

AND

"Thanks to Google's new Backup and Sync application for computers, you can now back up Google photos to your Windows PC or Mac automatically. "

Back up photos & videos

https://photos.google.com/apps

Whats the bet that now advertising revenue is falling, Google will start reducing their  free online storage limits and start charging to store on the cloud.

What proof do you have of this? If it does become truth I have everything backed up on four 1 GB drives and in other places.

Its fine to have lots of information (even at home) but if it takes a long time to find anything it becomes useless.

That's a symptom of poor organization.

As for back-ups: Back-ups of ANY files is ALWAYS recommended.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I hope everyone realizes that when you start using the cloud (or indeed any free web storage) that once you get over a certain size you are stuck with it.

My neighbor stores all his photos on the cloud. He now pays for extra space (only about $1 per month). He says "its only $1 month". I answer with "for now and even if it doesn't rise its $1 a month FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE", then we go and drink more wine.

Google offers 15GB free, and $1.99 per month for 100GB. That's a small price to pay for the extra space and the ability to access files anywhere.

BUT he has so many photos stored he can't download the lot and he can't actually view or find them randomly because there are just too many.

Just on that Google now stores your phone photos in a "new & better" format. All good, saves you space right. Well it turns out you need a google app to open them.

Photos CAN be organized (labeled in "info") and then put into albums and, if you wish, downloaded to your PC.

AND

"Thanks to Google's new Backup and Sync application for computers, you can now back up Google photos to your Windows PC or Mac automatically. "

Back up photos & videos

Whats the bet that now advertising revenue is falling, Google will start reducing their  free online storage limits and start charging to store on the cloud.

What proof do you have of this? If it does become truth I have everything backed up on four 1 GB drives and in other places.

Its fine to have lots of information (even at home) but if it takes a long time to find anything it becomes useless.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

AND

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

AND

As for back-ups: Back-ups of ANY file is ALWAYS recommended.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

When they're downloaded you can open them in any program you with.

AND

As for back-ups: Back-ups of ANY file is ALWAYS recommended.