• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

S&B brand curry powder is evidently the choice of Japanese home cooks. My plan is to try making the curry bricks written about in the Times.  It has, let's say, a lot of ingredients. 

I use the S & B curry bricks and like them a lot.  I'm sure homemade is better but it's not something I'd ever tackle.

I have read quite a few times that a lot of Japanese home cooks will mix and match curry bricks from different brands to come up with a preferred blend, and nearly all add a few "secret ingredients" to the pot.

Not sure if anyone else here is a video game nerd, but Sony published a Tasty-style video of the curry recipe from Cafe Leblanc in Persona 5. Kind of fun to watch. 

Edited to add: this appears to be the full recipe. Only 26 ingredients! 😳

dtremit

dtremit

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

S&B brand curry powder is evidently the choice of Japanese home cooks. My plan is to try making the curry bricks written about in the Times.  It has, let's say, a lot of ingredients. 

I use the S & B curry bricks and like them a lot.  I'm sure homemade is better but it's not something I'd ever tackle.

I have read quite a few times that a lot of Japanese home cooks will mix and match curry bricks from different brands to come up with a preferred blend, and nearly all add a few "secret ingredients" to the pot.

Not sure if anyone else here is a video game nerd, but Sony published a Tasty-style video of the curry recipe from Cafe Leblanc in Persona 5. Kind of fun to watch.