• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

5 hours ago, heidih said:

For the second time I swear I clicked on goat milk and ended up with UHT organic cow milk. I do not use it. Instead of pouring it out this time I attempted ricotta though internet says not a go with this style of milk. The milk itself (grass fed cows) had a light yellow cast. I used plain garbage vinegar and at end squeezed in orange from my overladen tree. It is sweet, fragrant, and I feel cool!  Thanks to whoever told me to give it  go.  And yes - no cheesecloth in house so I used paper towels. 

ricotta.JPG

Housemade ricotta is a treasure!    Texture depends on length of drain time.    For creamiest, only a few minutes, longer for denser cheese.   A wonderful fast and inexpensive pasta dressing with handful of fresh veg like peas or asparagus.   

\1644677734_ScreenShot2020-07-25at5_52_47PM.png.12df1b64a0b052e93d8aed1fbd9bb305.png

731234312_ScreenShot2020-07-25at5_52_11PM.png.78ee43a3e6f689f2e72f101f24edddaa.png

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

5 hours ago, heidih said:

For the second time I swear I clicked on goat milk and ended up with UHT organic cow milk. I do not use it. Instead of pouring it out this time I attempted ricotta though internet says not a go with this style of milk. The milk itself (grass fed cows) had a light yellow cast. I used plain garbage vinegar and at end squeezed in orange from my overladen tree. It is sweet, fragrant, and I feel cool!  Thanks to whoever told me to give it  go.  And yes - no cheesecloth in house so I used paper towels. 

ricotta.JPG

Housemade ricotta is a treasure!    Texture depends on length of drain time.    For creamiest, only a few minutes, longer for denser cheese.   A wonderful fast and inexpensive pasta dressing with handful of fresh veg like peas or asparagus.