• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

Life has just gotten much more interesting. Because of California's "non-essential people" stay home, my DW is at home rather than work. I'm retired and my income pays the mortgage and car insurance, my DW's covers groceries, utilities, and credit cards. Unless she goes back to work quickly, we'll have a major hole in our personal economy; next Friday will be her last paycheck. I went to my local supermarket (WinCo) this afternoon and bought some meat to add to what's in the freezer, and a few other things. I'd like to pick up some more pasta but the chances of that right now seem about as good as winning the lottery without buying a ticket. I was happy to note that seniors have exclusive access to the store from 6:00-7:00 a.m. For other reasons I have to go there tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see what's been put on the shelves overnight.

I'm going to need to inventory what all is in the freezers.

Today's meat:

2 1 lb packages of 85/15 ground beef.

3 1 lb chicken breasts

1 package of Johnsonville Original Brats re-packaged into 2 meals.

I had stocked up on corned beef (15 packages - total weight 55+ lbs) to cook and send to my guild at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire. That faire has been cancelled. Some may go to my daughter and her family. I have exactly one recipe that I use to cook the corned beef. It is my recipe. Corned beef slow-cooked in Guinness for 8 hours. Using some of them will force me to find other recipes.

Social distancing in the supermarket is a true crap shoot. Some people are taking it seriously, others don't seem to care about or believe in the risks.

ETA: It's just gotten even more interesting. My DW's been laid off effective COB Monday.

Porthos

Porthos

Life has just gotten much more interesting. Because of California's "non-essential people" stay home, my DW is at home rather than work. I'm retired and my income pays the mortgage and car insurance, my DW's covers groceries, utilities, and credit cards. Unless she goes back to work quickly, we'll have a major hole in our personal economy; next Friday will be her last paycheck. I went to my local supermarket (WinCo) this afternoon and bought some meat to add to what's in the freezer, and a few other things. I'd like to pick up some more pasta but the chances of that right now seem about as good as winning the lottery without buying a ticket. I was happy to note that seniors have exclusive access to the store from 6:00-7:00 a.m. For other reasons I have to go there tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see what's been put on the shelves overnight.

I'm going to need to inventory what all is in the freezers.

Today's meat:

2 1 lb packages of 85/15 ground beef.

3 1 lb chicken breasts

1 package of Johnsonville Original Brats re-packaged into 2 meals.

I had stocked up on corned beef (15 packages - total weight 55+ lbs) to cook and send to my guild at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire. That faire has been cancelled. Some may go to my daughter and her family. I have exactly one recipe that I use to cook the corned beef. It is my recipe. Corned beef slow-cooked in Guinness for 8 hours. Using some of them will force me to find other recipes.

Social distancing in the supermarket is a true crap shoot. Some people are taking it seriously, others don't seem to care about or believe in the risks.