• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I ordered a vegetable box from some vendor at the Union Square Greenmarket; I admit I was disappointed at just how many radishes came in it.  Radishes and rutabagas.  Very little *spring*.  But I'm eating it.  I think of rutabagas as thanksgiving food, but I guess I have every reason to be thankful right this moment -- I've lost three family members and one friend to Covid so far (each of whom had serious risk factors); but I'm hanging in here, healthy.  We actually did a funeral over zoom last weekend.  

@liamsaunt, those Maine marfax beans are delicious.  I actually have some soaking now -- I order them from Baer's Best, a delightful Maine farmer who grows several New England heirlooms beans.   It was funny to come across your picture!  

On food, things are fine up in here.  I've had three vegetable deliveries in six weeks, plus one large order from Murray's Cheese; and I always had way too many beans around.  I had filled my freezer with beef and pork and lamb in January.  So there is plenty of high-calorie eating around here.  

That said, I'm now hunting for on-line vendors of frozen meals.  I know that the "TV Dinner" game has changed for the better, and I've got a 77-year old loved one in rural Maine who just can't go out for a few more weeks.  I'm made all kinds of arrangements to get her meat and vegetables, but now I'm thinking we just need to get some prepared meals up in there.   Does anyone know of any online vendors who sell direct-to-consumer frozen dinners?  I mean, decent-tasting ones???  

SLB

SLB

I ordered a vegetable box from some vendor at the Union Square Greenmarket; I admit I was disappointed at just how many radishes came in it.  Radishes and rutabagas.  Very little *spring*.  But I'm eating it.  I think of rutabagas as thanksgiving food, but I guess I have every reason to be thankful right this moment -- I've lost three family members and one friend to Covid so far (each of whom had serious risk factors); but I'm hanging in here, healthy.  We actually did a funeral over zoom last weekend.  

@liamsaunt, those Maine marfax beans are delicious.  I actually have some soaking now -- I order them from Baer's Best, a delightful Maine farmer who grows several New England heirlooms beans.   It was funny to come across your picture!  

On food, things are fine up in here.  I've had three vegetable deliveries in six weeks, and I always had way too many beans around.  I had filled my freezer with beef and pork and lamb in January.  So there is plenty of high-calorie eating around here.  

That said, I'm now hunting for on-line vendors of frozen meals.  I know that the "TV Dinner" game has changed for the better, and I've got a 77-year old loved one in rural Maine who just can't go out for a few more weeks.  I'm made all kinds of arrangements to get her meat and vegetables, but now I'm thinking we just need to get some prepared meals up in there.   Does anyone know of any online vendors who sell direct-to-consumer frozen dinners?  I mean, decent-tasting ones???