• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Looking for something in an old dresser I found these blown out eggs. As a kid we did that, painted them and used on an "Easter Tree". I think these did not get painted cuz the holes were unacceptably large - shell hard as a rock I guess.  They are 3" end to end. We never had geese so they must be from the Pekin ducks (45 years ago!)  We would find the eggs as we herded them into their night shelter.  There was an unspoken understanding that we did not eat them. Where did they go? Pretty sure into baked goods and such. Mom did boil once and we ran outside to spit. Stronger than what we were used to. However I checked around and Whole Foods and some of the other upscales carry them. Oddly Asian markets do not from my brief research and observations. The chicken egg vendors at the closer farmers markets do not raise ducks. So duck eggs are on the forward trial agenda. I've seen @liuzhou and @Anna N use them. Any others?

IMG_1177.JPG

heidih

heidih

Looking for something in an old dresser I found these blown out eggs. As a kid we did that, painted them and used on an "Easter Tree". I think these did not get painted cuz the holes were unacceptably large - shell hard as a rock I guess.  They are 3" end to end. We never had geese so they must be from the Pekin ducks (45 years ago!)  They were female and we would find the eggs as we herded them into their night shelter.  There was an unspoken understanding that we did not eat them. Where did they go? Pretty sure into baked goods and such. Mom did boil once and we ran outside to spit. Stronger than what we were used to. However I checked around and Whole Foods and some of the other upscales carry them. Oddly Asian markets do not from my brief research and observations. The chicken egg vendors at the closer farmers markets do not raise ducks. So duck eggs are on the forward trial agenda. I've seen @liuzhou and @Anna N use them. Any others?

IMG_1177.JPG