• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 4/14/2020 at 10:22 AM, TdeV said:

My friend is bringing me some fresh ramps. Other than Momofuku (no kewpie mayo), what should I do with them?

I managed to sprout ramps in my garden but the slugs are attacking :(

22 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I don't want to sound overly dramatic but the fennel soup was simple but sublime.  Fennel, along with celeriac,  are a couple of ingredients that are rarer than  hen's teeth on menu's in the deep south.  I've been pretty resourceful in incorporating celeriac into various dishes but fennel has certainly lagged.  BKEats piqued my interest with fennel pesto last week so I incorporated fennel  it into a light soup.  The soup base was a puree of fennel, onion and chicken stock.  The soup was finished with diced potatoes, cauliflower and fennel fronds.

P1070192.thumb.jpg.96e01972dd48b42b969a12a75915bd32.jpg 

Celery root / celeriac is one of my "comfort" growing up foods.  Have you ever had it fresh from the garden?  Very different than the store, where it can sometimes be a crapshoot as far as age / stringiness.  My family also has an interesting vegetarian soup/stew that uses fennel fronds or dill and zuccini squash in a light broth and a touch of sour cream / creme fraisch.

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 4/14/2020 at 10:22 AM, TdeV said:

My friend is bringing me some fresh ramps. Other than Momofuku (no kewpie mayo), what should I do with them?

I managed to sprout ramps in my garden but the slugs are attacking :(

22 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I don't want to sound overly dramatic but the fennel soup was simple but sublime.  Fennel, along with celeriac,  are a couple of ingredients that are rarer than  hen's teeth on menu's in the deep south.  I've been pretty resourceful in incorporating celeriac into various dishes but fennel has certainly lagged.  BKEats piqued my interest with fennel pesto last week so I incorporated fennel  it into a light soup.  The soup base was a puree of fennel, onion and chicken stock.  The soup was finished with diced potatoes, cauliflower and fennel fronds.

P1070192.thumb.jpg.96e01972dd48b42b969a12a75915bd32.jpg 

Celery root / celeriac is one of my "comfort" growing up foods.  Have you ever had it fresh from the garden?  Very different than the store, where it can sometimes be a crapshoot as far as age / stringiness.