• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Forgive my ignorance .  I just stared at those for like 20 minutes.  Do you eat the whole thing?  @Paul Bacino  Or anyone else that knows about these interesting new things (to me)

You peel the leathery skin off and eat the inside meat, using the "toenails" as a handle...

IMG_1934.thumb.JPG.3f06024bf86b3d0c294717c63ac1d7fe.JPG

I had this little guy in a restaurant in the Basque area of Spain - there were a few on the plate, but I remembered to take a photo after I finished most of them...  the waitress showed us how to do it (she didn't speak English or Spanish) - you peel back that leathery looking part in the middle, from left to right, towards the nail looking stuff on the right.  All that peachy colored stuff is meat to eat...

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Forgive my ignorance .  I just stared at those for like 20 minutes.  Do you eat the whole thing?  @Paul Bacino  Or anyone else that knows about these interesting new things (to me)

You peel the leathery skin off and eat the inside meat, using the "toenails" as a handle