• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

I don't have much experience making Mexican food, but both my wife and I love it. This was a first experiment making duck birria tacos.  Birria has become a huge trend in NYC - but I still haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it just looks and sounds so good.  Also, I used some pasilla de Oaxaca, which is ridiculously smoky, along with "fire roasted" canned tomatoes, and I charred the onion/garlic and duck legs with my propane torch - needless to say, when I put the duck/sauce in my SV bath for its 180F 8 hour soak, it smelled like a campfire.  My SV bath water still smells like a campfire!  After I took the bags out of the bath and cooled them a bit, I let them sit overnight in the fridge.  Today, the smoke is still present, but it's definitely mellowed.  This was really tasty - I'm glad I made 2 meals worth at once.  Next time I'll make 4!

IMG_20201115_125541-01.thumb.jpeg.33240230866c9ecc527c64c1e6b12b1a.jpeg

KennethT

KennethT

I don't have much experience making Mexican food, but both my wife and I love it. This was a first experiment making duck birria tacos.  Birria has become a huge trend in NYC - but I still haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it just looks and sounds so good.  Also, I used some pasilla de Oaxaca, which is ridiculously smoky, along with "fire roasted" canned tomatoes, and I charred the onion/garlic and duck legs with my propane torch - needless to say, when I put the duck/sauce in my SV bath for its 180F 8 hour soak, it smelled like a campfire.  My SV bath water still smells like a campfire!  After I took the bags out of the bath and cooled them a bit, I let them sit overnight in the fridge.  Today, the smoke is still present, but it's definitely mellowed.  This was really tasty - I'm glad I made 2 meals worth at once.  Next time I'll make 4!

[insert photo here]