• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Cookies

Eric In Alabama

I created this recipe to make cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve a few years ago. Santa loved them. I relied heavily on techniques from Alton Brown and Kenji Lopez. The dark brown sugar makes my foodie friends think I used browned butter. Chilling the dough ensures that they are thick and chewy. My co-workers demand that I take them to work several times a year. Soaking the pecans in bourbon ahead of time isn't a bad thing, either.

• 2 large eggs
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1 cup (dark)brown sugar
    • 2 sticks butter
    • 1tbsp vanilla extract
    • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    • 2 tsp kosher or 1 tsp table salt
    • 2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 bag chocolate chips
    • 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans

Combine eggs, white sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well and set aside.

Melt butter in microwave and allow to cool to nearly room temp.

Add butter and brown sugar to eggs & white sugar and mix well.

Blend flour, salt and baking soda well.

Gently fold the egg/butter/sugar mix into the dry ingredients along with chocolate chips and pecans.

Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours). Bake on parchment paper at 325 - 350 (depending on your oven) for 16-18 min total, rotating half-way
through. They should just be beginning to brown a little when removed from the oven. Sprinkle cookies with a little coarse salt just before or just after baking.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...