• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

15 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned Bordier yet. It's good, probably the only butter I can eat without bread - I believe it's from Saint Malo, but according to their site you can get it all over France. No idea whether it's exported though.

Last Saturday for a party, I took 1.5kg of it and bashed it into a single pat. It's been a dream of mine for a while to just serve a huge mound of good butter, and it went down well - between about 20 of us, we got through more than 600g. Needless to say, I'm now pretty good for butter :)

Motte.thumb.jpg.81e43c39cad5e1c34e09c4c173385fb5.jpg

I'm not entirely sure I'd have the nerve to host a purely bread, butter and wine party, but I still think it would be an excellent thing to do...

Bordier is indeed one of France's fine butters.    (We've veered toward Beillevaire, but there are dozens of small producer butters as well as quite amazing stuff sold under private label).   

But more important, I LOVE the idea of a bread, butter and wine party, and can think of a couple of handfuls of friends who would vie for an invitation!     Thanks for a great idea.

ETA, reflecting on the guest list you've prompted, I really like the idea of a pot-luck bread, butter and wine party!     

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned Bordier yet. It's good, probably the only butter I can eat without bread - I believe it's from Saint Malo, but according to their site you can get it all over France. No idea whether it's exported though.

Last Saturday for a party, I took 1.5kg of it and bashed it into a single pat. It's been a dream of mine for a while to just serve a huge mound of good butter, and it went down well - between about 20 of us, we got through more than 600g. Needless to say, I'm now pretty good for butter :)

I'm not entirely sure I'd have the nerve to host a purely bread, butter and wine party, but I still think it would be an excellent thing to do...

Bordier is indeed one of France's fine butters.    (We've veered toward Beillevaire, but there are dozens of small producer butters as well as quite amazing stuff sold under private label).   

But more important, I LOVE the idea of a bread, butter and wine party, and can think of a couple of handfuls of friends who would vie for an invitation!     Thanks for a great idea.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

Bordier is indeed one of France's find butters.    (We've veered toward Beillevaire, but there are dozens of small producer butters as well as quite amazing stuff sold under private label).