• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

stephen129

stephen129

If you were to go on a food tour of London what kind of things would you want to eat? 

1. Only British food

2. Food that actual Londoners eat (I.e food from around the world, London is an incredibly diverse city after all)

3. 50/50 British/Global

4. 70/30 British/Global

5. 30/70 British/Global

Some background. I'm a lifelong Londoner. I'm considering running a food tour where I share my knowledge and take people to places around London to try various food. I initially thought I'd do option 5. mostly food that Londoners actually eat and some British food, because we are in Britain after all. Most of the non-British food is better anyway.

However after speaking to a friend, he suggested that tourists would actually just want to try foods that they can't get in their own countries, regardless of the fact that they may not be the best tasting.

Thoughts? Especially interested in the opinions of anyone who isn't from London who has been on a food tour in London, or would consider going on one.

stephen129

stephen129

If you were to go on a food tour of London what kind of things would you want to eat? 

1. Only British food

2. Food that actual Londoners eat (I.e food from around the world, London is an incredibly diverse city after all)

3. 50/50 British/Global

4. 70/30 British/Global

5. 30/70 British/Global

Some background. I'm a live long Londoner. I'm considering running a food tour where I share my knowledge and take people to places around London to try various food. I initially thought I'd do option 5. mostly food that Londoners actually eat and some British food, because we are in Britain after all. Most of the non-British food is better anyway.

However after speaking to a friend, he suggested that tourists would actually just want to try foods that they can't get in their own countries, regardless of the fact that they may not be the best tasting.

Thoughts? Especially interested in the opinions of anyone who isn't from London who has been on a food tour in London, or would consider going on one.