• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Chocolate Molds Direct

Jim D.

In spite of saying repeatedly that I would not buy any more molds, Christmas is approaching and I do need more (or so I am saying). For me it will be a fairly large order, and the prices at Chocolate World are very tempting. But is this really a bargain?  I realize the shipping will be more expensive than in the U.S., and I assume there will be import duty to pay as well (plus the fee the credit card company tacks on for whatever). Does anyone know whether this is a case of penny wise, pound foolish? 

I'd suggest you contact Renee at Chocolat-chocolat and get pricing from her - then see if you can do better than that by ordering direct. My suspicion is it will be less expensive to order from her even if you need her to special order some molds. She puts in an order with them weekly if I'm not mistaken.

The only time I've ordered direct is when I just can't get what I want any other way. And it's always cost me a lot more!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I did look at the Chocolat-Chocolat site (they have prices in U.S. dollars), but it's really difficult to know whether the shipping charges and import duty are better than from Belgium, given that the prices are higher to start with (not as high as at some vendors in the U.S.). TCF Sales has good prices, but has a 5-mold minimum, and in most cases I'm just adding to the stash I already have of a few molds, so don't need 5. I also want a few magnetic molds as they really come in handy in the holiday rush, and the prices some places charge for those are outrageous (given that at Chocolate World they are only 32 euros, or about 35 USD). JB Prince has some less expensive magnetic molds, but I am sick of having to reglue the magnets into the frames.

4 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I did look at the Chocolat-Chocolat site (they have prices in U.S. dollars), but it's really difficult to know whether the shipping charges and import duty are better than from Belgium, given that the prices are higher to start with (not as high as at some vendors in the U.S.). TCF Sales has good prices, but has a 5-mold minimum, and in most cases I'm just adding to the stash I already have of a few molds, so don't need 5. I also want a few magnetic molds as they really come in handy in the holiday rush, and the prices some places charge for those are outrageous (given that at Chocolate World they are only 32 euros, or about 35 USD). JB Prince has some less expensive magnetic molds, but I am sick of having to reglue the magnets into the frames.

But contacting her directly will get you the best information. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I did look at the Chocolat-Chocolat site (they have prices in U.S. dollars), but it's really difficult to know whether the shipping charges and import duty are better than from Belgium, given that the prices are higher to start with

You won't pay import duties on stuff from Chocolat-Chocolat, just shipping and your bank might have a foreign transaction fee, mine's is around 3%  I just bought some colored cocoa butter and a couple of molds from them.

I ❤️ 🇨🇦

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim, I just visited Chocolate World today.  How big is your order?  I would contact customer service to see what the price breaks are.  I bought something like 50 molds today, and the price of the 18 euro molds dropped down to 14 euro, and the 20 euro molds dropped down to 17.  I had a discount on the magnetic molds from being here with a class.  In any case, it was around 100 euros to ship those, plus assorted other toys that I *needed.* I was told that this discount after buying at this volume is good for life, and that if you buy 100 molds in one go, it goes down to like 11 euros a mold!!  No VAT involved.  Be sure you use a credit card that doesn't involve a foreign transaction fee.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kimmiq said:

Hi Jim, I just visited Chocolate World today.  How big is your order?  I would contact customer service to see what the price breaks are.  I bought something like 50 molds today, and the price of the 18 euro molds dropped down to 14 euro, and the 20 euro molds dropped down to 17.  I had a discount on the magnetic molds from being here with a class.  In any case, it was around 100 euros to ship those, plus assorted other toys that I *needed.* I was told that this discount after buying at this volume is good for life, and that if you buy 100 molds in one go, it goes down to like 11 euros a mold!!  No VAT involved.  Be sure you use a credit card that doesn't involve a foreign transaction fee.

You must be with the Ecole group. It's a shame that Chocolate World doesn't sell used molds anymore as they did at their old location. It is certainly fun shopping at the mothership.

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You must be with the Ecole group. It's a shame that Chocolate World doesn't sell used molds anymore as they did at their old location. It is certainly fun shopping at the mothership.

Yes! Pam says that you are also a physician.  I am a psychiatrist, though I quit my job last month to focus on being a chocolatier.  I will probably have to start doctoring again when I run out of money.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, kimmiq said:

Yes! Pam says that you are also a physician.  I am a psychiatrist, though I quit my job last month to focus on being a chocolatier.  I will probably have to start doctoring again when I run out of money.  :P

Yeah - I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon!

• Haha 1

I purchased a large number of molds directly from Chocolat Form in Italy and saved a ridiculous amount of money.  Including shipping, and accounting for the exchange rate, I paid $14.69 per mold.  Miraculously the molds got past customs and were delivered to Maine in 3 days. 

If that's not an option Chocolat-Chocolat is cheaper than Tomric, even after shipping.

Edited by DJ Silverchild (log)
  • Like 1