• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Personally, I wouldn't increase Amazon's control over my data and would download electronic material outside of Amazon's control, hence my suggestions up-thread about how to find out where one's data is.

Here's what @paulraphael said in another thread about Joule:

"The simple fact that the unit won't work unless paired to an account should be cause to boycott it. This means, fundamentally, that you bought it but you don't own it. Buying something like this is a declaration of absolute trust, not just in the company's leadership, but in all future leaders, regardless of what happens economically or who acquires them. This argument is laid out pretty well by Wired, in reference to Microsoft's recent eBook atrocities: https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-ebook-apocalypse-drm/"

There's no reason to believe that Amazon (like Microsoft) won't someday develop a new business model which includes shutting down their ebook presence. Of course, I'm also unwilling to have an Alexa, since I also have difficulty being high-minded about Amazon's ability to restrain itself in data mining.

YMMV.

My mileage may vary.  I have plenty of documents on CD-ROM that have turned to dust, and magnetic tape backups as well.  (Floppies though are pretty reliable as long as you have a working supply of drives, controllers, and software.)

Dead tree books are good but not perfect.  The oldest in my collection, circa 1723, is brown and crumbling but still mostly readable.  Many books published in my lifetime are not in great shape either.

I admit I have reservations about Alexa but for me security trumped privacy.  If I fall at home Alexa can get help.  Perhaps I should say when I fall, as it is not an infrequent occurrence.  And Alexa will read me a cookbook as I bleed to death.

If you are concerned with privacy don't go near the library.  Books are paired to an account.  Our library uses Bluetooth to track patrons same as retail stores use Bluetooth to track customers.  And community libraries don't retain old books.  Older titles are weeded out constantly.

Edit:  and then there is always Microfiche...

https://obsoletemedia.org/microfiche/

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Personally, I wouldn't increase Amazon's control over my data and would download electronic material outside of Amazon's control, hence my suggestions up-thread about how to find out where one's data is.

Here's what @paulraphael said in another thread about Joule:

"The simple fact that the unit won't work unless paired to an account should be cause to boycott it. This means, fundamentally, that you bought it but you don't own it. Buying something like this is a declaration of absolute trust, not just in the company's leadership, but in all future leaders, regardless of what happens economically or who acquires them. This argument is laid out pretty well by Wired, in reference to Microsoft's recent eBook atrocities: https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-ebook-apocalypse-drm/"

There's no reason to believe that Amazon (like Microsoft) won't someday develop a new business model which includes shutting down their ebook presence. Of course, I'm also unwilling to have an Alexa, since I also have difficulty being high-minded about Amazon's ability to restrain itself in data mining.

YMMV.

My mileage may vary.  I have plenty of documents on CD-ROM that have turned to dust, and magnetic tape backups as well.  (Floppies though are pretty reliable as long as you have a working supply of drives, controllers, and software.)

Dead tree books are good but not perfect.  The oldest in my collection, circa 1723, is brown and crumbling but still mostly readable.  Many books published in my lifetime are not in great shape either.

I admit I have reservations about Alexa but for me security trumped privacy.  If I fall at home Alexa can get help.  Perhaps I should say when I fall, as it is not an infrequent occurrence.  And Alexa will read me a cookbook as I bleed to death.

If you are concerned with privacy don't go near the library.  Books are paired to an account.  Our library uses Bluetooth to track patrons same as retail stores use Bluetooth to track customers.  And community libraries don't retain old books.  Older titles are weeded out constantly.