• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My 12 rules of food (warning: contains butter)

liuzhou

My mother, who was a girl during WWII but did have easy access to butter, switched to margarine after the war when it was marketed as some sort of luxury food! To this day she still uses it, applied to her toast or bread about half an inch thick! When I stayed with her recently, the first thing I did was buy some butter for my needs.

Still, she has just turned 90 and is fit and well. It must be all the preservatives!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My parents house always had margarine, but my Granny always had butter.  She’d always make my brother and I butter and sugar sandwiches on white bread when we were kids.  She was from west Texas and gave me my love of sweet tea, fried okra and fried eggplant.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boudin noir said:

Hate peas. Fall off fork. Often starchy. Except for sugar snap peas.

Try canned peas if you can get past the color.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou