• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

16 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

As a child in Florida I grew up salting watermelon and cantaloupe. I don't remember when I stopped doing that--probably when my family moved to Colorado and we didn't eat melons as often as before. That, and the fact that no one in Colorado salted their melons. Is this a Southern thing?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I remember my Texas born friend's dad salting melon - so probably southern - although here in LA salty spice  mix is given out when you buy fruit fom a street cart vendor 

heidih

heidih

12 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

As a child in Florida I grew up salting watermelon and cantaloupe. I don't remember when I stopped doing that--probably when my family moved to Colorado and we didn't eat melons as often as before. That, and the fact that no one in Colorado salted their melons. Is this a Southern thing?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I remember my Texas born friend's dad salting melon - so probalky southern - although here in LA salty spce  mix is given out when you buy fruit fom a street cart vendor