• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 8/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, tazerowe said:

Also, what type of grits did you use?  There is a huge range - instant to quick cooking to normal to stone-ground, that could seriously change the cooking or at least hydration time.

22 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, this question is for @blue_dolphin.  I'd like to know, too!

I mentioned earlier that this recipe had a lot in common with the Crispy Cornmeal Waffles in Dorie Greenspan's waffle book.  Over here, when @Chris Hennes made that recipe, he used Bob's Red Mill coarse ground cornmeal and felt it gave the waffles an excellent texture.  Since that Joy the Baker recipe didn't say anything about what kind of grits to use, I decided to follow Chris' lead and used a fairly coarse, stone-ground cornmeal from a local miller, Roan Mills, made from yellow dent corn.  The recipe I used says to let the batter sit at least 5 minutes, I let it sit ~ 30 minutes.  Dorie's recipe specifies coarse, stone-ground cornmeal.  She doesn't recommend any resting time but does use a bit more liquid. 

I'll speculate that one can likely get a decent waffle with most any kind of grits assuming you've got at least half flour in there to carry the structure.  Recently, I made the Brown Sugar Kitchen Cornmeal Waffles and used the relatively fine Arrowhead Mills yellow cornmeal.  Different recipe, of course, and since they were yeasted, the batter rested for ~ 6 hrs, but they came out well, too.  Maybe I'll put my speculation to the test with some of the Barkley's Mill White Corn Grits I've got hanging around.  They're stone-ground with a range of particle sizes from very fine to moderately coarse. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 8/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, tazerowe said:

Also, what type of grits did you use?  There is a huge range - instant to quick cooking to normal to stone-ground, that could seriously change the cooking or at least hydration time.

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, this question is for @blue_dolphin.  I'd like to know, too!

I mentioned earlier that this recipe had a lot in common with the Crispy Cornmeal Waffles in Dorie Greenspan's waffle book.  Over here, when @Chris Hennes made that recipe, he used Bob's Red Mill coarse ground cornmeal felt it gave the waffles an excellent texture.  Since that Joy the Baker recipe didn't say anything about what kind of grits to use, I decided to follow Chris' lead and used a fairly coarse, stone-ground cornmeal from a local miller, Roan Mills, made from yellow dent corn.  The recipe I used says to let the batter sit at least 5 minutes, I let it sit ~ 30 minutes.  Dorie's recipe specifies coarse, stone-ground cornmeal.  She doesn't recommend any resting time but does use a bit more liquid. 

I'll speculate that one can likely get a decent waffle with most any kind of grits assuming you've got at least half flour in there to carry the structure.  Recently, I made the Brown Sugar Kitchen Cornmeal Waffles and used the relatively fine Arrowhead Mills yellow cornmeal.  Different recipe, of course, and since they were yeasted, the batter rested for ~ 6 hrs, but they came out well, too.  Maybe I'll put my speculation to the test with some of the Barkley's Mill White Corn Grits I've got hanging around.  They're stone-ground with a range of particle sizes from very fine to moderately coarse.