• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Spelling

How long will the $3000 tempering machine last (years)?(a)

How much will you need to spend in repairs & maintenance of the machine? Base cost + repairs = Machine Cost (b).

How many hours/month do you spend making chocolates? How many chocolates are produced? (c) Reduce those numbers to 70% - 80% because you're going to get sick, or want to go on vacation.

I'm not a chocolatier, so I have no idea, but I did work in business. Let's say

(a) is 10 years

(b) $6000

Then you'll need to recover equipment expense of $600 in retail sales per year.

Then (c), e.g. 100 x 12 (annualized) x .7 (efficiency) = 840 chocolates

Then 840 chocolates need to pay for raw materials PLUS $1.40 each chocolate for use of the tempering machine.

P.S. If someone wants to PM me with more realistic numbers here, I can update these figures.

TdeV

TdeV

Spelling

How much will you need to spend in repairs & maintenance of the machine? Base cost + repairs Machine Cost (b).

How many hours/month do you spend making chocolates? How many chocolates are produced? (c) Reduce those numbers to 70% - 80% because you're going to get sick, or want to go on vacation.

(a) is 10 years

(b) $6000

Then 840 chocolates need to pay for raw materials PLUS $1.40 each chocolate for use of the tempering machine.

P.S. If someone wants to PM me with more realistic numbers here, I can update these figures.

TdeV

TdeV

How much will you need to spend in repairs & maintenance of the machine? Base cose + repairs Machine Cost (b).

(a) is 10 years

(b) $6000