• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/6/2018 at 10:26 PM, KennethT said:

@Anna NIt is quite bland, that's for sure... even with the ground pork or ground chicken and the ginger, it's certainly not very flavorful!

But it isn't meant to be flavourful. Chinese cuisine uses rice (including congee) to be a neutral base on which the accompanying dishes or condiments can sit. That's why they don't ever season rice.  Chinese friends were amazed when they saw me put salt into rice. They thought I was mad.

liuzhou

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Anna NIt is quite bland, that's for sure... even with the ground pork or ground chicken and the ginger, it's certainly not very flavorful!

But it isn't meant to be flavourful. Chinese cuisine uses rice (including congee) to be a neutral base on which the accompanying dishes or condiments can sit. That's why they don't ever season rice.  Chinese friends were amazed they saw me put salt into rice. They thought I was mad.