• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

12 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Popeye's 2 piece spicy, leg and thigh. With onion rings and red beans n rice.

Darn good. had to wait a couple of minutes for the chicken to get done. Bonus for me. 

Me too! I actually love it when I have to wait a while for freshly cooked food, especially something like fried chix or french fries. There's a little mom and pop's BBQ place that's the only place in town I know that does fried chicken to order. The Chinese takeout joint has horrible "Chinese" food, but marinates, then par fries and freezes chicken wings and completes the frying to order along with fried to order frozen french fries. Bonus: they're also cheaper than any of the wings places around here. It's just about the only thing that's safe to eat there. I still like their "crab" rangoon, but have been burned so many times on the Chinese menu, I'm too scared to experiment anymore. Even their eggrolls have deteriorated to the point I won't try it again, and I LOVE a good eggroll.

I managed to get some hot french fries from Wendy's today, and that was the high point of my very stressful day visiting my brother in the hospital. Wendy's fries are really good, and I think the medium size I ordered is larger than McDonald's large size. The chocolate Frosty was good and so thick I couldn't get it through a straw at first. The burger was fine, but could definitely have been hotter. Still better than McD's all day long.

I miss having access to a Popeye's. They are my favorite fast food fried chicken place and when they were in our area years ago, good sides too. Does anyone know if they still offer fried okra? I loved getting that and corn on the cob with my order of spicy fried chicken.

Edit: take out messed up link to "Chinese" joint.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

11 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Popeye's 2 piece spicy, leg and thigh. With onion rings and red beans n rice.

Darn good. had to wait a couple of minutes for the chicken to get done. Bonus for me. 

Me too! I actually love it when I have to wait a while for freshly cooked food, especially something like fried chix or french fries. There's a little mom and pop's BBQ place that's the only place in town I know that does fried chicken to order. The Chinese takeout joint has horrible "Chinese" food, but marinates, then par fries and freezes chicken wings and completes the frying to order along with fried to order frozen french fries. Bonus: they're also cheaper than any of the wings places around here. It's just about the only thing that's safe to eat there. I still like their "crab" rangoon, but have been burned so many times on the Chinese menu, I'm too scared to experiment anymore. Even their eggrolls have deteriorated to the point I won't try it again, and I LOVE a good eggroll.

I managed to get some hot french fries from Wendy's today, and that was the high point of my very stressful day visiting my brother in the hospital. Wendy's fries are really good, and I think the medium size I ordered is larger than McDonald's large size. The chocolate Frosty was good and so thick I couldn't get it through a straw at first. The burger was fine, but could definitely have been hotter. Still better than McD's all day long.

I miss having access to a Popeye's. They are my favorite fast food fried chicken place and when they were in our area years ago, good sides too. Does anyone know if they still offer fried okra? I loved getting that and corn on the cob with my order of spicy fried chicken.