• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tomorrow, October 1st, is the 69th anniversary of Mao declaring the People's Republic of China from the gate of the Forbidden City in Tian'anmen Square, Beijing. This is celebrated each year with a week long holiday*, giving the government a chance to pretend they are communists and the people to go shopping.

mao.thumb.jpg.b1d19493563b6d0a6d5582260a88af3f.jpg

Liuzhou traditionally celebrates this with yet another:

mmexport1538191707864.thumb.JPG.3e3d7983099166bccf5cf119ef6b4d0c.JPG

This is basically an excuse for a bunch of foreign, thick, rich kids to show off their powerboats and act like utter morons. We have competitors deported and charged with sexual assaults on local girls in past years.

So, today I was busy helping with translation duties for more boring speeches and came home almost too exhausted to cook or eat.  I managed to prepare a very quick dinner of fresh ramen noodles fried with chicken and some very fresh straw mushrooms I managed to pick up at noon.  Garlic, ginger and chillies and some soy sauce.

noodles1.thumb.jpg.b182976dd269c0a99cbacddfc4df35dc.jpg

noodles.thumb.jpg.aed6e92a02b16e77519a31c897cdba3d.jpg

Tomorrow I have a 6 am start so I'm off to bed.

* Actually it's only a three day holiday, but they manage to fool themselves into thinking it's a 7 day holiday. Under Chinese law, the statutory holiday is only three days , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, but to stretch it out they worked both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. So on Thursday they tell themselves we have already worked for Thursday and Friday last weekend, then they have next weekend off, which they do anyway. Somehow they equate this to seven days off work. This bizarre practice of working what they call "make-up" days happens at other public holidays, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tomorrow, October 1st, is the 69th anniversary of Mao declaring the People's Republic of China from the gate of the Forbidden City in Tian'anmen Square, Beijing. This is celebrated each year with a week long holiday*, giving the government a chance to pretend they are communists and the people to go shopping.

mao.thumb.jpg.b1d19493563b6d0a6d5582260a88af3f.jpg

Liuzhou traditionally celebrates this with yet another:

mmexport1538191707864.thumb.JPG.3e3d7983099166bccf5cf119ef6b4d0c.JPG

This is basically an excuse for a bunch of foreign, thick, rich kids to show off their powerboats and act like utter morons. We have competitors deported and charged with sexual assaults on local girls in past years.

So, today I was busy helping with translation duties for more boring speeches and came come almost too exhausted to cook or eat.  I managed to prepare a very quick dinner of fresh ramen noodles fried with chicken and some very fresh straw mushrooms I managed to pick up at noon.  Garlic, ginger and chillies and some soy sauce.

noodles1.thumb.jpg.b182976dd269c0a99cbacddfc4df35dc.jpg

noodles.thumb.jpg.aed6e92a02b16e77519a31c897cdba3d.jpg

Tomorrow I have a 6 am start so I'm off to bed.

* Actually it's only a three day holiday, but they manage to fool themselves into thinking it's a 7 day holiday. Under Chinese law, the statutory holiday is only three days , Monday Tuesday, Wednesday, but to stretch it out they worked both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. So on Thursday they tell themselves we have already worked Thursday and Friday last weekend, then they have next weekend off, which they do anyway. Somehow they equate this to seven days off work. This bizarre practice of working what they call "make-up" days happens at other public holidays, too.