• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Dejah

Dejah

belated happy Anniversary, Ann_T! It's our 52nd tomorrow...we'll be spending it watching the arborist cutting down a few trees in the yard. Will be expensive entertainment!

Side pork ribs slow and low in foil in the oven for a couple of hours followed by a brushing of  BBQ sauce and hot charring on the BBQ.                                                

1500862659_RibsCornandHashbrowns6122.jpg.af503a5819cf6e4829f2372a8678956a.jpg

Tonight was the first time I've ever tried black garlic. Bought a container in a Chinese supermarket and it's been waiting for me for many moons!!
I just didn't know what to do with it (bought on ex-son-in-law's urging).
Finally googled and decided to try it on something simple.

I pureed 2 big cloves with olive oil, smeared it all over the chicken outside and inside., and roasted it at 375F for an hour.

I was amazed that there was no garlic aroma or sharpness (hubby not a big fan of extreme garlic), but a sweetness! It reminded me of the soy soaked then dried olives (lam gok) my mom used to cook is a traditional dish for Chinese New Year. It was eaten as a lettuce wrap.

We enjoyed the chicken. My hubby said it was a real meat and potato meal as I also made scalloped potatoes ('s been a long time!), which he loves - without onions!

186533761_BlackgarlicChicken6129.jpg.eead5a9812191d0d769b0293d5db9725.jpg

Dejah

Dejah

Side pork ribs slow and low in foil in the oven for a couple of hours followed by a brushing of  BBQ sauce and hot charring on the BBQ.                                                

1500862659_RibsCornandHashbrowns6122.jpg.af503a5819cf6e4829f2372a8678956a.jpg

Tonight was the first time I've ever tried black garlic. Bought a container in a Chinese supermarket and it's been waiting for me for many moons!!
I just didn't know what to do with it (bought on ex-son-in-law's urging).
Finally googled and decided to try it on something simple.

I pureed 2 big cloves with olive oil, smeared it all over the chicken outside and inside., and roasted it at 375F for an hour.

I was amazed that there was no garlic aroma or sharpness (hubby not a big fan of extreme garlic), but a sweetness! It reminded me of the soy soaked then dried olives (lam gok) my mom used to cook is a traditional dish for Chinese New Year. It was eaten as a lettuce wrap.

We enjoyed the chicken. My hubby said it was a real meat and potato meal as I also made scalloped potatoes ('s been a long time!), which he loves - without onions!

186533761_BlackgarlicChicken6129.jpg.eead5a9812191d0d769b0293d5db9725.jpg