• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weedy

weedy

I made an Udon dish out of my head (so no claim of authenticity)

I sautéed some garlic and onion in oil with some Japanese chile paste. Then added some cherry stone clams and some water and Dashi base and let them steam open.

i added a handful of beech mushrooms for a minute.  

Then I puréed that lot and returned it to the wipes clean pot. 

In another pan I sautéed garlic and chopped Chinese broccoli until wilted and stems were softened. 

I added that to the clam soup base. 

Then I lightly scored about 3/4 of a pound of cuttlefish and fried them in the garlic oil left from the broccoli until slightly golden. 

Tossed them to cook the other side. 

Held. 

Lastly i quick boiled some fresh udon noodles. 

Added the Udon and another handful of uncooked beech mushrooms to the soup/sauce and stirred. 

Plated that with the fried cuttlefish on top and a bit and of fresh coriander. 

It was very decent (if I do say so myself) and vaguely modern Japanese (in a Nobu or Morimoto kind of way). 

Basically i I was bored with my usual repertoire!

2657DA24-1A51-4CE8-B169-5E48B9C1BC1E.jpeg

weedy

weedy

I made an Udon dish out of my head (so no claim of authenticity)

I sautéed some garlic and onion in oil with some Japanese chile paste. Then added some cherry stone clams and some water and Dashi base and let them steam open.

i added a handful of beech mushrooms for a minute.  

Then I puréed that lot. 

In another pan I sautéed garlic and chopped Chinese broccoli until wilted and stems were softened. 

I added that to the clam soup base. 

Then I lightly scored about 3/4 of a pound of cuttlefish and fried them in the garlic oil left from the broccoli until slightly golden. 

Tossed them to cook the other side. 

Held. 

Lastly i quick boiled some fresh udon noodles. 

Added the Udon and another handful of uncooked beech mushrooms to he soil and stirred. 

Plated that with the fried cuttlefish on top and a bit and of fresh. coriander. 

It was very decent (if I do say so myself) and vaguely modern Japanese (in a Nobu or Morimoto kind of way). 

Basically i I was bored with my usual repertoire!

2657DA24-1A51-4CE8-B169-5E48B9C1BC1E.jpeg