• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Even if I didn't have an Irish ancestor, I'd still make corned beef at least once a year. We like it so much.  My great great grandfather was born in (now) Northern Ireland almost 200 years ago.  He was married in Ohio and settled about 50 miles south of here in Kansas. He is buried at Trading Post and he may have never had corned beef or even heard of it but it is an American Irish tradition and we are glad it is.  Someday I will get soda bread down right and I came closer this year that any but I still have a ways to go before I am totally happy with the outcome. I tried a recipe called Irish Apple Pie. I don't know if that is a real thing or not but I wanted to give it a try.  If it is a real thing, it was a lot of work for someone who may not have had electric kitchen gadgets. I may have made meringue before but I don't remember when. It got a little brown on top.  The first piece out of the pan is always the messy one.  I made two sauces for the corned beef. One was a mustard and beer sauce and the other was sour cream and horseradish.

20180316_161718.jpg

20180317_121131.jpg

20180317_185613.jpg

20180317_185930.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Even if I didn't have an Irish ancestor, I'd still make corned beef at least once a year. We like it so much.  My great great grandfather was born in (now) Northern Ireland almost 200 years ago.  He was married in Ohio and settled about 50 miles south of here in Kansas. He is buried at Trading Post and he may have never had corned beef or even heard of it but it is an American Irish tradition and we are glad it is.  Someday I will get soda bread down right and I came closer this year that any but I still have a ways to go before I am totally happy with the outcome. I tried a recipe called Irish Apple Pie. I don't know if that is a real thing or not but I wanted to give it a try.  If it is a real thing, it was a lot of work for someone who may not have had electric kitchen gadgets.  I made two sauces for the corned beef. One was a mustard and beer sauce and the other was sour cream and horseradish.

20180316_161718.jpg

20180317_121131.jpg

20180317_185613.jpg

20180317_185930.jpg