• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

It seems like just weeks ago, but must have been months, that I was complaining to a good friend that I couldn't find 苦瓜 kǔ guā - bitter melons - which were bitter like they were in the good, old days. She gave me withering look and said that weren't in season, so "what do you expect?"

I still don't know exactly when the things are in season, but I bought one today and it looked like all the others I've bought over the years, but when I cooked it it lived up to its name. Well, the first part of its name.

That bitterness revolted me at first, but I've grown to like it. (Stubbornness played a large part in me trying it the third or eighth time). Now I actively seek it out.

So tonight, I had bitter melon with beef (苦瓜牛肉 kǔ guā niú ròu)  or perhaps beef with bitter melon (牛肉苦瓜 niú ròu kǔ guā) . I haven't decided yet. Restaurant menus often list both - If beef comes first it is predominantly beef; if bitter melon comes first it is predominantly - you've guessed it.

Anyway beef was sliced into slivers and marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine.  Stir fried for a bit, then the de-pithed melon added along with some soy sauce. Finished with green onions and served with rice.

Spicy and bitter. ( I had a wife like that once!)

kugua.thumb.jpg.a5105e3baeb214e7d6665261a14b067f.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

It seems like just weeks ago, but must have been months, that I was complaining to  good friend that I couldn't find 苦瓜 kǔ guā - bitter melons - which were bitter like they were in the good, old days. She gave me withering look and said that weren't in season, so "what do you expect?"

I still don't know exactly when the things are in season, but I bought one today and it looked like all the others I've bought over the years, but when I cooked it it lived up to its name. Well, the first part of its name.

That bitterness revolted me at first, but I've grown to like it. (Stubbornness played a large part in me trying it the third or eighth time). Now I actively seek it out.

So tonight, I had bitter melon with beef (苦瓜牛肉 kǔ guā niú ròu)  or perhaps beef with bitter melon (牛肉苦瓜 niú ròu kǔ guā) . I haven't decided yet. Restaurant menus often list both - If beef comes first it is predominantly beef; if bitter melon comes first it is predominantly - you've guessed it.

Anyway beef was sliced into slivers and marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine.  Stir fried for a bit, then the de-pithed melon added along with some soy sauce. Finished with green onions and served with rice.

liuzhou

liuzhou

It seems like just weeks ago, but have been months, that I was complaining to  good friend that I couldn't find 苦瓜 kǔ guā - bitter melons - which were bitterlike they were in the good, old days. She gave me withering look and said that weren't in season, so "what do you expect?"

That bitterness revolted me at first, but I've grown to like it. (Stubbornness played a large part in me trying it the third or eighth time).