• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

@ElsieDIt's an Algerian dish from The Vegetarian Table:  North Africa.

I had 1 lb of zucchini.  They are hollowed out and the zucchini bits are chopped with a1/4 c red bell pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1/2 c finely diced onion.  This is sautéed until soft and mixed with a 1/4 c brown cooked rice, a pinch of salt, cayenne & cinnamon, a 1/2 beaten egg and quite a bit of chopped parsley (5 sprigs).  Stuffed into the zucchini and baked with 1 c vegetable stock, covered in a 425F oven for 35 minutes until the zucchini are soft.  I stood my zucchini up in the broth.  The juices are drained off (I had 3/4 cup which was what was called for...if you have more reduce it down) and mixed in with an 1 egg yolk and 1 T lemon juice then heated until thickened (I did this in a double boiler and had to add about 1/2 t arrowroot powder to thicken the way I wanted).  It went really well with the stuffed vegetables and the crab cakes.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

@ElsieDIt's an Algerian dish from The Vegetarian Table:  North Africa.

I had 1 lb of zucchini.  They are hollowed out and the zucchini bits are chopped with a1/4 c red bell pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1/2 c finely diced onion.  This is sautéed until soft and mixed with a 1/4 c brown cooked rice, a pinch of salt, cayenne & cinnamon, a 1/2 beaten egg and quite a bit of chopped parsley (5 sprigs).  Stuffed into the zucchini and baked with 1 c vegetable stock, covered in a 425F oven for 35 minutes until the zucchini are soft.  I stood my zucchini up in the broth.  The juices are drained off (I had 3/4 cup which was what was called for...if you have more reduce it down) and mixed in with an 1 egg yolk and 1 T lemon juice then heated until thickened (I did this in a double broiler and had to add about 1/2 t arrowroot powder to thicken the way I wanted).  It went really well with the stuffed vegetables and the crab cakes.