• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 5/24/2022 at 5:58 AM, Maison Rustique said:

We have a local dairy that delivers. Yes, I have a milkman! Anyway, they have a lot besides milk. For quite a while a year or so ago, they had an artisan bread they made that was a light whole wheat bread with dried apricots and pumpkins seeds. Not at all sweet. We got completely addicted to it. And that means they don't make it anymore. 

So, I've searched around a come up with a couple of recipes I think I can modify to come up with something similar. I always use my bread machine because my hands and arms won't knead now. I would love to make some this week but have a dilemma. My oven is not working properly. (We're going to be shopping for a new one, but won't be here this week obviously.) I can bake it in the bread machine, but would like for it to not come out looking like a boring rectangle. 

So, here's my question. Has anyone tried slashing the top of the loaf in the bread machine before baking to give it a bit more artisan look/feel? 

I've been baking a bread/rolls recipe using 2/3 white whole wheat and 1/3 almond flour with apricots and sliced almonds.  Because they are related, apricots and almond go nicely together.

I don't slash the top of the loaves, but when I removed the dough after the final knead, to REMOVE THE BEATERS,  I separate it into three balls and tuck them back into the bread machine pan for the final rise and bake, first brushing them top with egg wash and sprinkling sliced or slivered almonds on the top.  This is an attractive presentation and can be sliced as is or pulled apart into three "midi" loaves.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 5/24/2022 at 5:58 AM, Maison Rustique said:

We have a local dairy that delivers. Yes, I have a milkman! Anyway, they have a lot besides milk. For quite a while a year or so ago, they had an artisan bread they made that was a light whole wheat bread with dried apricots and pumpkins seeds. Not at all sweet. We got completely addicted to it. And that means they don't make it anymore. 

So, I've searched around a come up with a couple of recipes I think I can modify to come up with something similar. I always use my bread machine because my hands and arms won't knead now. I would love to make some this week but have a dilemma. My oven is not working properly. (We're going to be shopping for a new one, but won't be here this week obviously.) I can bake it in the bread machine, but would like for it to not come out looking like a boring rectangle. 

So, here's my question. Has anyone tried slashing the top of the loaf in the bread machine before baking to give it a bit more artisan look/feel? 

I've been baking a bread/rolls using 2/3 white whole wheat and 1/3 almond flour with apricots and sliced almonds.  Because they are related, apricots and almond go nicely together.

I don't slash the top of the loaves, but when I removed the dough after the final knead, to REMOVE THE BEATERS,  I separate it into three balls and tuck them back into the bread machine pan for the final rise and bake, first brushing them top with egg wash and sprinkling sliced or slivered almonds on the top.  This is an attractive presentation and can be sliced as is or pulled apart into three "midi" loaves.