• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

2 hours ago, lindag said:

The plumbing in my home was done with copper pipe and I've had nothing but trouble with it

The hot water runs develop pin holes and I’ve had at least five leaks.  I'm currently waiting for my drywall guy to come and fix this last repair.  The original owner had some of the pipe torn out and replaced with flex but The harder-to-get-to pipe remains.

this is not to say there's anything wrong with copper pipe, I believe that this job was done with poor quality or defective pipe.

In my case, I almost need to keep my plumber on retainer.

Copper can have trouble with leaching out metal and weakening over time. IIRC acidic water makes this worse. 

gfweb

gfweb

30 minutes ago, lindag said:

The plumbing in my home was done with copper pipe and I've had nothing but trouble with it

The hot water runs develop pin holes and I’ve had at least five leaks.  I'm currently waiting for my drywall guy to come and fix this last repair.  The original owner had some of the pipe torn out and replaced with flex but The harder-to-get-to pipe remains.

this is not to say there's anything wrong with copper pipe, I believe that this job was done with poor quality or defective pipe.

Copper can have trouble with leaching out metal and weakening over time. IIRC acidic makes this worse. 

gfweb

gfweb

26 minutes ago, lindag said:

Copper can have trouble with leaching out metal and weakening over time. IIRC softened water makes this worse.