• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

A cursory search didn't reveal a thread specifically devoted to home winemaking.

Invision's search tool leaves a lot to be desired.

And I do use Google Advanced Search (or just search operators) as needed.

I've made a lot of wine over the years—some good, some not so great—but all were drinkable. LOL

I've made a lot of grape wine from kits and some from fresh juice (home grown years ago) or what's available, in season, at some suppliers (vineyards) a bit north of me up along the lakes.

I've also made the relatively inexpensive 'apfelwein' from readily available apple juice. Adding a little natural organic apple extract at the end to get the flavor I prefer.

Lots of wine from wild grapes, elderberry, dandelion, raisins, etc. years ago.

The very best non-grape homemade wine that I've ever had was wild blueberry wine made by the late Mary B.

She was a wonderful lady and an excellent cook and baker. She'd lived through some very tough times being a Romanian Holocaust survivor so she knew how to bring out the most and best in everything! Nose to tail! Without fail!

She made great blueberry wine, OMG, that stuff was good! :smile:

I plan to start a couple batches of dry Riesling soon.

:smile:

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

A cursory search didn't reveal a thread specifically devoted to home winemaking.

I've made a lot of wine over the years—some good, some not so great—but all were drinkable. LOL

I've made a lot of grape wine from kits and some from fresh juice (home grown years ago) or what's available, in season, at some suppliers (vineyards) a bit north of me up along the lakes.

I've also made the relatively inexpensive 'apfelwein' from readily available apple juice. Adding a little natural organic apple extract at the end to get the flavor I prefer.

The very best non-grape homemade wine that I've ever had was wild blueberry wine made by the late Mary B.

She was a wonderful lady and an excellent cook and baker. She'd lived through some very tough times being a Romanian Holocaust survivor so she knew how to bring out the most and best in everything! Nose to tail! Without fail!

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

The very best non-grape homemade wine that I've ever had was wild blueberry wine made by the the late Mary B.