• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Clarity, I hope

@newchef, this may be an obvious point but I'll make it in case you haven't thought of it: I find that portioning dishes with liquids or sauces into the bag, then freezing the bag, and THEN vacuum sealing makes all the difference between a mess and a good seal.

@Lisa Shock, is there anything special that needs to be done with the cooked beans before freezing and vacuum-packing them?  I know that cooked potatoes must be mashed before freezing to avoid the weird texture you describe, and I wonder whether there are similar things needed for beans: for instance, freezing with the pot liquor or making sure they're well-drained. I may be able to use this trick in the next couple of days, in preparation for a trip. 

Smithy

Smithy

@newchef, this may be an obvious point but I'll make it in case you haven't thought of it: I find that portioning dishes with liquids or sauces into the bag, then freezing the bag, and THEN vacuum sealing makes all the difference between a mess and a good seal.

@Lisa Shock, is there anything special that needs to be done with the cooked beans?  I'm thinking about things like freezing with the pot liquor or draining the beans first.  I may be able to use this trick in the next couple of days, in preparation for a trip. Does the texture change for the cooked beans, the way it does for non-mashed potatoes?