• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It occurs to me that there a wide open professional niche for dietician/nutritionist with a chef's imagination and palate.    There is no reason that healthful food needs be tasteless, textureless, colorless.   in fact, it could and should be the opposite.    Is there this emphasis in the field today?   

I'm sure those people exist. I'm equally sure that they're in private clinics with large price tags, where they'll make much better coin than their counterparts in mainstream hospitals.

ETA: I believe that at some point I've related the story of a classmate of mine at culinary school. She was livid - LIVID - to learn that she'd be expected to taste everything she cooked in class. In her life, it seems, she'd never voluntarily consumed anything much other than Campbell's soups and blue-box mac & cheese. This, of course, begged the obvious question ("why culinary school, then?") and the answer, as it turns out, is that she was destined to oversee food services in her family's small chain of for-profit long-term care homes for seniors.

Still gives me the shudders just thinking about it.

chromedome

chromedome

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It occurs to me that there a wide open professional niche for dietician/nutritionist with a chef's imagination and palate.    There is no reason that healthful food needs be tasteless, textureless, colorless.   in fact, it could and should be the opposite.    Is there this emphasis in the field today?   

I'm sure those people exist. I'm equally sure that they're in private clinics with large price tags, where they'll make much better coin than their counterparts in mainstream hospitals.