• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robirdstx

robirdstx

46 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Yesterday, NOT in the Instant Pot, I made a variation on African Peanut Chicken stew using chicken thighs, Rancho Gordo beans and their cooking water, butternut squash, sweet potato, peanut butter, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic and some spices.

The 8 Qt pot was brimming full on the stovetop and I decided to let the liquid reduce by long cook over medium heat (without the pot lid).  This is a method I have read about (many times) for increasing the viscosity of cooking water in the Instant Pot—a method I'm increasingly relying on the Instant Pot to do. In this case, however, it resulted in a thick burned crust on the bottom of the pot.

So, I'm wondering what my brain is conflating. There was no added sugar (peanut butter without sugar) which could burn. IP and gas stovetop have fundamentally different methods of heating? Don't use the "boil away" method to reduce something with tomatoes or tomato paste? Go back to only using low heat to thicken stews? Something else?

When doing a long, slow cook on my electric cooktop, I reduce the heat to a slow simmer after it has come to a boil. I also check and stir quite often. Edited to add: Since getting my Instant Pot, I have not used the stovetop method very often.

robirdstx

robirdstx

45 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Yesterday, NOT in the Instant Pot, I made a variation on African Peanut Chicken stew using chicken thighs, Rancho Gordo beans and their cooking water, butternut squash, sweet potato, peanut butter, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic and some spices.

The 8 Qt pot was brimming full on the stovetop and I decided to let the liquid reduce by long cook over medium heat (without the pot lid).  This is a method I have read about (many times) for increasing the viscosity of cooking water in the Instant Pot—a method I'm increasingly relying on the Instant Pot to do. In this case, however, it resulted in a thick burned crust on the bottom of the pot.

So, I'm wondering what my brain is conflating. There was no added sugar (peanut butter without sugar) which could burn. IP and gas stovetop have fundamentally different methods of heating? Don't use the "boil away" method to reduce something with tomatoes or tomato paste? Go back to only using low heat to thicken stews? Something else?

When doing a long, slow cook on my electric cooktop, I reduce the heat to a slow simmer after it has come to a boil. I also check and stir quite often. Edited to add: Since getting my Instant Pot, I have not used the stovetop very often.

robirdstx

robirdstx

41 minutes ago, TdeV said:

When doing a long, slow cook on my electric cooktop, I reduce the heat to a slow simmer after it has come to a boil. I also check and stir quite often.