• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 11/16/2018 at 11:12 AM, rotuts said:

they were at a suburban Shaw's , but only for 3 days a few weeks ago.

its the only one that does this , and they do it every year.

3 days only, way before the Thanksgiving rush.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for them next year. Wouldn't have had room in the freezer this year anyway...sigh.

I think the TB's were 99 cents at Star Market , again possibly for 3 days only  

Fri , Sat , Sun.

but those two chains split up several years ago

It's...weirder than that -- they're both still under the same ownership, but have been handed off a few times. And after renaming all but a handful of Star Markets to Shaw's a while back, they reversed course and switched a bunch of Shaw's to Star. The one closest to me was built as a Shaw's, and is now a Star, but the receipts still say Shaw's several years after the name change. Puzzling.

With regard to the sales -- one thing I've found is that they have (at least) two circulars some weeks, and different stores get different ones. The tall circular (in a newspaper format) tends to have better prices and is used at stores in more price sensitive areas; the tabloid format circular has higher prices and is at stores in more affluent areas.

At least the last time I looked at it, the "tall" one was used at the Twin City Plaza (Camb/S'ville line) Star, the Porter Square Star, and the Waltham Shaw's; the "tabloid" one was used in the Belmont Shaw's and the Mt Auburn Star in Cambridge.

Of course, this week there's only one, for Thanksgiving.

dtremit

dtremit

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for them next year. Wouldn't have had room in the freezer this year anyway...sigh.

Fri , Sat , Sun.

It's...weirder than that -- they're both still under the same ownership, but have been handed off a few times. And after renaming all but a handful of Star Markets to Shaw's a while back, they reversed course and switched a bunch of Shaw's to Star. The one closest to me was built as a Shaw's, and is now a Star, but the receipts still say Shaw's several years after the name change. Puzzling.

With regard to the sales -- one thing I've found is that they have (at least) two circulars some weeks, and different stores get different ones. The tall circular (in a newspaper format) tends to have better prices and is used at stores in more price sensitive areas; the tabloid format circular has higher prices and is at stores in more affluent areas.

At least the last time I looked at it, the "tall" one was used at the Twin City Plaza (Camb/S'ville line) Star, the Porter Square Star, and Waltham; the "tabloid" one was used in the Belmont Shaw's and the Mt Auburn Star in Cambridge.

Of course, this week there's only one, for Thanksgiving.

dtremit

dtremit

Fri , Sat , Sun.

At least the last time I looked at it, the "tall" one was used at the Twin City Plaza (Camb/S'ville line) Star, the Porter Square Star, and Waltham; the "tabloid" one was used in the Belmont Shaw's and the Mt Auburn Star in Cambridge.