• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I just read AB's recipe. It says that as soon as the curd is put into a clean container you should put plastic wrap directly on the curd. I don't see a reason given, but I wonder whether it's to prevent that foam, caused by -- I dunno, separation of some sort?

I think the plastic wrap is to prevent a rubbery skin forming on the surface, as sometimes happens with custards. I saw some mention of foaming when using recipes with egg whites as well as yolks but this recipe is yolk only. 

It does look like a separation, I wonder if it's something to do with the temperature of the curd before adding the butter?  @Kim Shook, does the foam taste buttery? Or like any individual ingredient? 

Edited to add: Found this in one of the recipe's comments:

beeGirl3July 8, 2012
rated 4 of 5 stars
This recipe isn't spot on. I doubled the recipe because 4 lemons gave me over 2/3 of a cup juice and I had over 10 yolks from an angel food cake. I was afraid to get the bowl real hot because it says to turn the burner to "low" after a "simmer", I heated for over 15 min and had no clue if it was thick enough. I went ahead and put in containers and it began to SEPARATE. It wasn't thick enough!!! i didn't let it get warm enough to thicken. I did some research and decided to try reheating half the batch and went on to do it all and yum :

IF IT'S TOO THIN, REHEAT IT OVER SIMMERING WATER WHISKING LIKE CRAZY UNTIL IT'S LIKE PUDDING. I did this even after I had added the butter and the consistency was way better, like a pudding. Good flavor.

FauxPas

FauxPas

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I just read AB's recipe. It says that as soon as the curd is put into a clean container you should put plastic wrap directly on the curd. I don't see a reason given, but I wonder whether it's to prevent that foam, caused by -- I dunno, separation of some sort?

I think the plastic wrap is to prevent a rubbery skin forming on the surface, as sometimes happens with custards. I saw some mention of foaming when using recipes with egg whites as well as yolks but this recipe is yolk only. 

It does look like a separation, I wonder if it's something to do with the temperature of the curd before adding the butter?  @Kim Shook, does the foam taste buttery? Or like any individual ingredient?