• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

17 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

If it's any good I might stash some away in the freezer, but mostly it goes to neighbours. Or sometimes just random people I meet. There's Jean who I pass on the road walking into town and we exchange pleasantries in my ropey French. I saw where he lived one day and now I'll leave an occasional treat on his window ledge if I'm walking by. Another time I got talking to a fella in Aldi who liked my hat; he's sometimes there on a Sunday morning at the same time as me so I'll stick a slice or two in my backpack on the off-chance we cross. There's also the goat cheese lady at the market who used to get a weekly bag of goodies until she went low-carb around Christmas to shed a few pounds. And if I do an odd-job for a friend of a friend then more often than not I'll throw in some cake or cookies just to get shut of the stuff.

That is great. I used to do my big bake for Christmas gifting and had a pretty large list of folks that looked forward to their trays. Then I heard many were inundated at Christmas especially in large offices. Client/vendor stuff. So I switched to random gifting when it is unexpected.  Now it is just the guards, fire tation, IT guys, amd a handful of friends. It has been mazing how the treats cemented (sweetened) long relationships. I had a hard time with the facilities maintenance guys at a large hospital (a male/female thing) - the baked goods really sweetened up their attitudes. 

heidih

heidih

10 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

If it's any good I might stash some away in the freezer, but mostly it goes to neighbours. Or sometimes just random people I meet. There's Jean who I pass on the road walking into town and we exchange pleasantries in my ropey French. I saw where he lived one day and now I'll leave an occasional treat on his window ledge if I'm walking by. Another time I got talking to a fella in Aldi who liked my hat; he's sometimes there on a Sunday morning at the same time as me so I'll stick a slice or two in my backpack on the off-chance we cross. There's also the goat cheese lady at the market who used to get a weekly bag of goodies until she went low-carb around Christmas to shed a few pounds. And if I do an odd-job for a friend of a friend then more often than not I'll throw in some cake or cookies just to get shut of the stuff.

That is great. I used to do my big bake for Christmas gifting and had a pretty large list of folks that looked forward to their trays. Then I heard many were inundated at Christmas especially in large offices. Client/vendor stuff. So I switched to random gifting when it is unexpected.  Now it is just the guards, the IT guys, amd a handful of friends. It has been mazing how the treats cemented (sweetened) long relationships. I had a hard time with the facilities maintenance guys at a large hospital (a male/female thing) - the baked goods really sweetened up their attitudes.