• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The rest I'll leave to your judgement, but as long as it has stayed frozen food safety is not an issue. The question is more one of quality and taste.

If it's been frozen that long, then it would make sense to pursue a more processed product, rather than a simple sear to medium rare/medium.  It was an expensive duck (and the other parts were tasty, iirc), so, I'd like to at least try something.

Forgot to mention, I also have fish sauce, mirin, mustard, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, but no soy sauce.  I just found yuzu jam and honey.  Garlic's not ready for harvest, but I can use a few of the leaf sprouts in a pinch.

I wonder if I could try smoking it on my gas grill.. it does go down low to about 200F, and I've got some woodchips and lump charcoal.  Other ideas floating in my head now, hmmm.

jedovaty

jedovaty

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The rest I'll leave to your judgement, but as long as it has stayed frozen food safety is not an issue. The question is more one of quality and taste.

If it's been frozen that long, then it would make sense to pursue a more processed product, rather than a simple sear to medium rare/medium.  It was an expensive duck (and the other parts were tasty, iirc), so, I'd like to at least try something.

Forgot to mention, I also have fish sauce, mirin, mustard, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, but no soy sauce.  Garlic's not ready for harvest, but I can use a few of the leaf sprouts in a pinch.

I wonder if I could try smoking it on my gas grill.. it does go down low to about 200F, and I've got some woodchips and lump charcoal.

jedovaty

jedovaty

6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Forgot to mention, I also have fish sauce, mirin, mustard, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, but no soy sauce.  Garlic's not ready for harvest, but I can use a few of the leaf sprouts in a pinch.