• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

I'm nearly through the freezer!  :)  There's a vac-sealed duck breast that was initially intended for sous vide to 135F and sear, but sadly forgotten and been there for over 2 years.  It has some ice build up in the package.

Safe to eat?  What should I make, if so?

Pantry items are running low: five small cans of tomato paste (wtf), a handful of dried porcinis , an onion, package of wakame, 1lb unroasted cacao beans, some gelatin, lots of flour, oats, buckwheat, sugar, some quinoa and rice, one can of garbanzo beans, and a small package of shredded coconut.  I have some green onion in the garden as well, and can pick up fresh kale from my neighbor's garden.  Eggs and butter in the fridge, two carrots, garbanzo miso, and a small package of frozen cauliflower florets.  Hmmmm.

One-person soup or stew?  Chop up for ravioli filling?

jedovaty

jedovaty

I'm nearly through the freezer!  :)  There's a vac-sealed duck breast that was initially intended for sous vide to 135F and sear, but sadly forgotten and been there for over 2 years.  It has some ice build up in the package.

Safe to eat?  What should I make, if so?

Pantry items are running low: five small cans of tomato paste (wtf), a handful of dried porcinis , an onion, package of wakame, 1lb unroasted cacao beans, some gelatin, lots of flour, oats, buckwheat, sugar, some quinoa and rice, and a small package of shredded coconut.  I have some green onion in the garden as well, and can pick up fresh kale from my neighbor's garden.  Eggs and butter in the fridge, and a small package of frozen cauliflower florets.  Hmmmm.

One-person soup or stew?  Chop up for ravioli filling?