• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Are they though, or are they just instagram-ing one mold at a time?  Even Melissa Coppel admitted that a lot of her stuff isn't practical for retail production because you'd have to charge way too much to cover the labor.  OTOH, stagiaires & interns, if they can be trusted to do it right :hmmm:

I don't see it often, but I am seeing it here and there.  I figure it's either small shops with a small-batch artisanal focus or larger shops that have interns or similar junior staff.

Yes, I watched Melissa meticulously (a word that applies to everything she does) use a little sponge brush to paint an arc in a mold, then paint another arc slightly overlapping it. Beautiful effect, but....  Kate Weiser is a chocolatier who does demanding, meticulous work on a large scale (a sample box suggested that the pieces are hand-painted), but photos show assistants doing this.

Melissa Coppel's work is quite meticulous and does seem to be extremely tedious and time-consuming.  Kate Weiser's painting seems to be sort of the opposite of meticulous.  A lot of splatter, flickers and similar techniques that don't require a lot of time or precision.  Not much that requires going cavity by cavity other than simple brush strokes.   Very different styles - both with beautiful results.

Bentley

Bentley

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Are they though, or are they just instagram-ing one mold at a time?  Even Melissa Coppel admitted that a lot of her stuff isn't practical for retail production because you'd have to charge way too much to cover the labor.  OTOH, stagiaires & interns, if they can be trusted to do it right :hmmm:

I don't see it often, but I am seeing it here and there.  I figure it's either small shops with a small-batch artisanal focus or larger shops that have interns or similar junior staff.