• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@Bentley, I haven't had luck with using tape--the color always seeps behind it. I must have used the wrong kind of tape. A food-safe type of tape supposedly exists (someone on eGullet said he had it, but he never returned to explain what it is and where to get it).

I don't think I have ever seen a perfectly round and smooth mold like that. It must have been quite a job to get the tape up the sides--somewhat labor-intensive, to put it mildly. What is the source of the mold?

I also am still searching for the perfect tape.  On this bonbon, because the line is a splatter pattern, it didn't really matter if a little white seeped in. I also did another one with a solid gold line across a black background, and that one doesn't looks as nice because a little black seeped in and ruined the effect of the solid line.

sorry...didn't notice the second part of your post. The mold is from Pavoni. It's a 10gr round puck.  Not too difficult to tape but it does take time to do a whole mold. I don't really see how chocolatiers are using this technique in production quantities. It just takes too much time. 

Bentley

Bentley

11 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

@Bentley, I haven't had luck with using tape--the color always seeps behind it. I must have used the wrong kind of tape. A food-safe type of tape supposedly exists (someone on eGullet said he had it, but he never returned to explain what it is and where to get it).

I don't think I have ever seen a perfectly round and smooth mold like that. It must have been quite a job to get the tape up the sides--somewhat labor-intensive, to put it mildly. What is the source of the mold?

I also am still searching for the perfect tape.  On this bonbon, because the line is a splatter pattern, it didn't really matter if a little white seeped in. I also did another one with a solid gold line across a black background, and that one doesn't looks as nice because a little black seeped in and ruined the effect of the solid line.