• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Countless members before me have attempted to start/maintain a topic devoted to leftovers.

Some address leftovers in general

Here.

And some leftovers in particular

Here.

But unlike the Bake-Off and the Cook-Off topics there has been no really successful way of bringing things together in an easily accessible and searchable way.

Some of us seem to have quite a talent for making leftovers as delicious as the original or, just as often, even better. I won't name names because I'm sure to forget someone and offend.

Some of us look at leftovers and, despite our hatred of food waste, cannot bring ourselves to use them. We know who we are. 

Then there is the challenge of using ingredients where we are forced to buy a quart but need only 2 tablespoons. What do we do with the rest?

So I am hoping I will be joined in my effort. 

No rules but some suggestions.

I think we can stretch this format to address both those of us who have ideas to share and those of us who are begging for ideas.

So if for example you have some leftover foie gras you don't know what to do with, you would simply start a new topic thusly:

The Loving Your Leftovers Series: #n Foie gras

And then ask for help telling us as much as you can about what sort of preparation/dish you were hoping for and what other ingredients you have on hand. (If you really do have leftover foie gras perhaps you have wandered into the wrong lecture hall.)

If you have a great idea to share about a leftover you managed to metamorphose into a dish for a queen, you would follow the same format but show us or tell us what you made.

It is possible to find many suggested uses for leftovers if you surf the web. Links are welcome but let's not just make links. Let's show where we have used a suggestion in the link to use up something in our own kitchens. 

So is anyone up for this? 

I will start. 

I realize that the word sausage covers a multitude of differing "foods". A treatment for leftover pork sausages might not necessarily work as well for leftover boudin or leftover black pudding. But we are all quite capable of making adjustments and riffing off an idea. 

I brought home some leftover lamb sausages from a restaurant yesterday. There are two quite large sausages and they were tasty enough that I want to make a meal with them. 

While surfing the web I came across these ideas from The Guardian. It is obvious that many of them are assuming left over uncooked sausages and will need to be adjusted to make use of already cooked sausages. 

Here.

But I settled on this one from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

Here.

image.jpeg.16aed9798bbae5242f3abb3ca627f483.jpeg

As an aside Hugh's  book, "River Cottage: Leftovers" is worth a look.

Anna N

Anna N

Countless members before me have attempted to start/maintain a topic devoted to leftovers.

Here.

Here.

But unlike the Bake-Off and the Cook-Off topics there has been no really successful way of bringing things together in an easily accessible and searchable way.

Some of us seem to have quite a talent for making leftovers as delicious as the original or, just as often, even better. I won't name names because I'm sure to forget someone and offend.

Some of us look at leftovers and, despite our hatred of food waste, cannot bring ourselves to use them. We know who we are. 

Then there is the challenge of using ingredients where we are forced to buy a quart but need only 2 tablespoons. What do we do with the rest?

I think we can stretch this format to address both those of us who have ideas to share and those of us who are begging for ideas.

So if for example you have some leftover foie gras you don't know what to do with, you would simply start a new topic thusly:

And then ask for help telling us as much as you can about what you sort of preparation/dish you were hoping for and what other ingredients you have on hand. (If you really do have leftover foie gras perhaps you have wandered into the wrong lecture hall.)

If you have a great idea to share with a leftover you have managed to metamorphose into a dish for a queen, you would follow the same format but show us or tell us what you made.

It is possible to find many suggested uses for leftovers if you surf the web. Links are welcome but let's not just make links. Let's show where we have used a suggestion in the link to use up something in our own kitchens. 

I will start. 

I realize that the word sausage covers a multitude of differing "foods". A treatment for leftover pork sausages might not necessarily work as well for leftover boudin or leftover black pudding. But we are all quite capable of making adjustments and riffing off an idea. 

I brought home some leftover lamb sausages from a restaurant yesterday. There are two quite large sausages and they were tasty enough that I want to make a meal with them. 

While surfing the web I came across these ideas from The Guardian. It is obvious that many of them are assuming left over uncooked sausages and will need to be adjusted to make use of already cooked sausages. 

Here.

Here.

Anna N

Anna N

Here.

Here.

And then ask for help telling us as much as you can about what you sort of preparation/dish you were hoping for and what other ingredients you have on hand. (If you really do have leftover foie gras perhaps you have wandered into the wrong lecture hall.)

If you have a great idea to share with a leftover you have managed to metamorphose into a dish for a queen, you would follow the same format but show us or tell us what you made.

I will start. 

Here.

Anna N

Anna N

Here.

Here.

I will start. 

But I settled on this one from

Anna N

Anna N

Here.

Here.

I will start. 

Anna N

Anna N

Here.

Here.

I will start. 

Anna N

Anna N

Here.

But unlike the bake off and the cook off topics there has been no really successful way of bringing things together in an easily accessible and searchable way.

I think we can stretch this format to address both those of us who have ideas to share and those of us who are begging for ideas. So if for example you have some leftover foie gras you don't know what to do with, you would simply start a new topic thusly:

I will start. 

Anna N

Anna N

But unlike the bake off and the cook off topics there has been no really successful way of bringing things together in an easily accessible and searchable way.

I think we can stretch this format to address both those of us who have ideas to share and those of us who are begging for ideas. So if for example you have some leftover foie gras you don't know what to do with, you would simply start a new topic thusly:

I will start. 

Anna N

Anna N

I will start.