• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Added picture of grilled ham and cheese

I just made us some grilled cheese and ham sandwiches using the "Air Fryer" setting.  I often use it for these sandwiches  as I like my bread on these sandwiches nice and crunchy.  You may not.  Other than that, i have used the air fryer setting for frozen sweet potato fries and chicken wings.  The fries were fine, nice and crispy.  The wings were good too, although you have to move them around a bit.  That, as near as I can recall, is the total of my experience with this setting.  I did not use extra oil with either the fries or wings.

I dehydrated some tomatoes which seemed to work well.  They are in the freezer and have yet to use them so I can't comment further.

One thing I love about this oven is the proof function.  It works perfectly.  It has a slow cook feature which I haven't used, and has settings for both high and low.  Several of the functions work using "super convection".  Not sure what that means exactly, but the fan makes considerably more noise.  It also has an interior light that will go on when you open the oven door and stays on for 10 seconds after you close it.   

The one thing that is rather useless is the second rack for things like baking cookies.  The top rack browns, while the cookies on the bottom rack do not.  This is solved by switching the racks but on a 15 minute bake you need to do this more than once.  A but of a pain.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this oven.  I rarely use the big oven but that was also true of the BSO.

This oven as with the BSO, still sucks at making toast.

20171114_133507.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

I just made us some grilled cheese and ham sandwiches using the "Air Fryer" setting.  I often use it for these sandwiches  as I like my bread on these sandwiches nice and crunchy.  You may not.  Other than that, i have used the air fryer setting for frozen sweet potato fries and chicken wings.  The fries were fine, nice and crispy.  The wings were good too, although you have to move them around a bit.  That, as near as I can recall, is the total of my experience with this setting.  I did not use extra oil with either the fries or wings.

I dehydrated some tomatoes which seemed to work well.  They are in the freezer and have yet to use them so I can't comment further.

One thing I love about this oven is the proof function.  It works perfectly.  It has a slow cook feature which I haven't used, and has settings for both high and low.  Several of the functions work using "super convection".  Not sure what that means exactly, but the fan makes considerably more noise.  It also has an interior light that will go on when you open the oven door and stays on for 10 seconds after you close it.   

The one thing that is rather useless is the second rack for things like baking cookies.  The top rack browns, while the cookies on the bottom rack do not.  This is solved by switching the racks but on a 15 minute bake you need to do this more than once.  A but of a pain.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this oven.  I rarely use the big oven but that was also true of the BSO.

This oven as with the BSO, still sucks at making toast.