• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add additional photo

Well, no Cubano for me today as I decided to try the Breton tuna and white bean gratin from Diana Henry's Simple.  I like all the flavors in this dish but was a bit put off by one of the comments on EYB - "This grey slop looks like something that might have been served to Oliver Twist,"  and "The best that can be said for it is that it tastes marginally better than it looks."  Oh dear.  

I was a little worried that it would be overly mushy so I didn't purée the beans into oblivion and decorated my plate to provide plenty of contrast

IMG_4811.thumb.jpg.d29117742b29fbb7ac7086326ca02645.jpg

Crispy crackers, crunchy toast rubbed with garlic, sweet/tart/colorful pickles (pickled beets and sweet potatoes from Deep Run Roots and purchased cornichons) and limes to squeeze over top. 

I quite liked it.

IMG_4816.thumb.jpg.9a6c1bda2306fd36eb2500fa83b86f4d.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Well, no Cubano for me today as I decided to try the Breton tuna and white bean gratin from Diana Henry's Simple.  I like all the flavors in this dish but was a bit put off by one of the comments on EYB - "This grey slop looks like something that might have been served to Oliver Twist,"  and "The best that can be said for it is that it tastes marginally better than it looks."  Oh dear.  

I was a little worried that it would be overly mushy so I didn't purée the beans into oblivion and decorated my plate to provide plenty of contrast

IMG_4811.thumb.jpg.d29117742b29fbb7ac7086326ca02645.jpg

Crispy crackers, crunchy toast rubbed with garlic, sweet/tart/colorful pickles (pickled beets and sweet potatoes from Deep Run Roots and purchased cornichons) and limes to squeeze over top. 

I quite liked it.