• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

Ok, so I'm kind of pleased with the results.

I took the roast out of the fridge yesterday afternoon and stared at it for a while.

I decided to get my cast iron skillet blindingly hot and throw a thin sliced piece of meat on there and see what happened (remember my end-goal was roast venison sandwiches).

I liked it.  Nice and tender.  SV'd 4 hours at 130F made it tender, but definitely not done enough if you were eating it like a traditional roast.

I seared each piece of roast on all sides in the skillet.  Then I sliced it very thinly and quickly seared the slices in the skillet.

Definitely think that the brining and the long cook caused the awful texture/taste in the first roast.   

Now, I am no help in the traditional roast department, I know.  I am very much looking forward to seeing how @daveb's roast turns out.

IMG_4068.jpg.4482fc4634dcf7cea40e2c333a2c20b8.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg.8872ff42af00e7f8a55d18626078dd86.jpg

(the sauce is copy-cat Arby's sauce)  See the finished version on the dinner thread.

Shelby

Shelby

Ok, so I'm kind of pleased with the results.

I took the roast out of the fridge yesterday afternoon and stared at it for a while.

I decided to get my cast iron skillet blindingly hot and throw a thin sliced piece of meat on there and see what happened (remember my end-goal was roast venison sandwiches).

I liked it.  Nice and tender.  SV'd 4 hours at 130F made it tender, but definitely not done enough if you were eating it like a traditional roast.

I seared each piece of roast on all sides in the skillet.  Then I sliced it very thinly and quickly seared the slices in the skillet.

Definitely think that the brining and the long cook caused the awful texture/taste in the first roast.   

Now, I am no help in the traditional roast department, I know.  I am very much looking forward to seeing how @daveb's roast turns out.

IMG_4068.jpg.4482fc4634dcf7cea40e2c333a2c20b8.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg.8872ff42af00e7f8a55d18626078dd86.jpg

(the sauce is copy-cat Arby's sauce)  See the finished version on the dinner thread.