• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weedy

weedy

It’s argued, not “debunked”... re induction

but in any event, 

you’re making a loaded argument. 

Who says the luddite is well schooled but the modernist is not?

that tends to be the opposite. 

Many more sub average cooks who imagine they “know how to” roast a chicken than people who are interested enough, and invested in food enough, to jump into SV but can’t be bothered to learn to do it properly. 

It’s one thing to prefer a steak cooked with a gradient. That’s obviously some people’s preference and it doesn’t require my agreement to validate it. 

But a lot of people DON’T really prefer that, especially given the CHOICE or having the opportunity to actually taste the steak cooked consistently through. 

And that’s part of why so many restaurants are cooking steaks and chicken that way whether they announce it or not. 

I’m not dismissing anyone’s choice to cook under a broiler if they know they prefer that. 

Otoh, anyone who dismisses the preference for the result cooked SV as “fanboy” ( also sexist by the way) Or “fashionista” is just being foolish. 

I know how to roast and broil and braise. 

Well. 

I’m learning my way round pressure cooking to see what that gives me. 

If you  really KNOW your way round SV cooking then you’re in a position to decide whether it’s “better” or not. For YOU, in a given circ. 

Until then it’s just feels like a war of defensive words. 

weedy

weedy

It’s argued, not “debunked”... re induction

but in any event, 

you’re making a loaded argument. 

Who says themluddite is well schooled but the modernist is not?

that tends to be the opposite. 

Many more sub average cooks who imagine they “know how to” roast a chicken than people who are interested enough, and invested in food enough, to jump into SV but can’t be bothered to learn to do it properly. 

Its one thing to prefer a steak cooked with a gradient. That’s obviously some people’s preference and it doesn’t require my agreement to validate it. 

But a lot of people DON’T really prefer that, especially given the CHOICE or having the opportunity to actually taste the steak cooked consistently through. 

And that’s part of why so many restaurants are cooking steaks and chicken that way whether they announce it or not. 

I’m not dismissing anyone’s choice to cook under a broiler if they know they prefer that. 

Otoh, anyone who dismisses the preference for the result cooked SV as “fanboy” ( also sexist by the way) Or “fashionista” is just being foolish. 

I know how to roast and broil and braise. 

Well. 

I’m learning my way round pressure cooking to see what that gives me. 

If you  really KNOW your way round SV cooking then you’re in a position to decide whether it’s “better” or not. For YOU, in a given circ. 

Until then it’s just feels like a war of defensive words.