• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

I am back in Disney for a quick pre-Thanksgiving trip.  This time it is just my husband and I.  It looks like I never finished reporting on the last time we were down with my family--I have over 100 more food photos from that trip that I never posted here but they are old now, so who cares about those.  We are taking a break from the parks so husband can watch the Patriots game, so i will amuse myself by looking at food photos.

We arrived Thursday evening, and proceeded directly to the Magic Kingdom for the Christmas party.  My husband had flown in from Milan late the night before, and was pretty jet lagged, so we left early and missed the parade, but did manage to see the fireworks and have dinner.  We ate at Jungle Navigation Company Skipper Canteen.  We shared an appetizer of pan de queijo, which was served with a cilantro and fresh cheese sauce.  They were very tasty, but as you can see from the picture, the portion was way too large.  What are two people going to do with nine breads?

skcheesebread.thumb.jpg.a6ef803cee083a36ccc43124d51875bf.jpg

I ordered a rice noodle dish with head on shrimp, tofu and vegetables in a spicy sambal sauce.  It did have some heat which was nice.  

skperkinsthai.thumb.jpg.ab5583a6faebb58e915249d52eb724c9.jpg

Unfortunately husband's dinner picture did not come out, which is too bad because it was a delicious pan-seared golden tilefish with greens, cassava cake, and a mango-habanero sauce.  No dessert. Fireworks shot

mvmcpfinale.thumb.jpg.862ce32cd5c73367c92d4bbb726053cf.jpg

Our first full days in the parks coincided with the last two days of Disney's annual Food and Wine festival.  We've done this before in a group and it is usually pretty fun.  This year, with only two days and two people, we were unable to sample most of the booths.  We got to eight split between Friday and Saturday, and skipped 41.  A cheese and wine sampler: left to right, gorgonzola with a cranberry chutney and crisp bread (chutney overwhelmed the cheese), and a chardonnay from Sonoma.  The next cheese was supposed to come with aged balsamic and cippolini onions, but we got olives.  Fine, I like olives.  The wine was an Oregon rose.  And finally Italico with apricot chutney pared with a California Petite Syrah

fwcheese.thumb.jpg.0221605b136f64e9f311622140777633.jpg

Next, a black pepper boursin soufflé.  I did not notice the fig jam in the menu description, and so was disappointed when it was not savory.  My fault.

fwboursinsouffle.thumb.jpg.3893b0af4ae3e37bf26b73ce01fbefe5.jpg

Charcuterie in a cone from the Spain booth.

fwcharcruterie.thumb.jpg.4fa6f9534ecadff91bbffcda6918031b.jpg

Spicy hummus fries with tzatziki and chipotle sauces from the Morocco booth.  This was my favorite of the dishes we tried. 

fwhummusfries.thumb.jpg.4c7c85a6f4e0813b2eef8a06861c01d8.jpg

An Impossible burger slider.  We waited longer for this than any other food item we tried. It was very popular.  I liked the wasabi cream it was sauced with but the burger itself tasted grainy.  Husband liked it more than me,  I was done after one bite, he managed a few more.

fwimpossibleburger.thumb.jpg.57e3c5c0fbc1e64bab9d5e23309f1a1a.jpg

Loaded mac and cheese with Neuske's pepper bacon and leeks.  It was hot yesterday so a bite of this was more than enough.  Husband enjoyed it.  

fwmacandcheese.thumb.jpg.5d15a91ce6ebe5445a59e592181f1491.jpg

Striped bass tostada with cabbage slaw and tomatillo sauce.  The slaw and tostada were good but the fish was overcooked

fwstripedbass.thumb.jpg.74a543f9fee42ae5a2b81483d16f0998.jpg

Crab cake with avocado cream and cabbage slaw.  Neither of us liked this much.  The crab was fine, it just was not too exciting

fwcrabvcake.thumb.jpg.a198d36fc4f3e4c436c19ee007a4f4ae.jpg

Peri peri shrimp from the South Africa booth.  A bit salty

fwperiperishrimp.thumb.jpg.fdb2bd1780ea0adf503335dcb1da2d8f.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

I am back in Disney for a quick pre-Thanksgiving trip.  This time it is just my husband and I.  It looks like I never finished reporting on the last time we were down with my family--I have over 100 more food photos from that trip that I never posted here but they are old now, so who cares about those.  We are taking a break from the parks so husband can watch the Patriots game, so i will amuse myself by looking at food photos.

We arrived Thursday evening, and proceeded directly to the Magic Kingdom for the Christmas party.  My husband had flown in from Milan late the night before, and was pretty jet lagged, so we left early and missed the parade, but did manage to see the fireworks and have dinner.  We ate at Jungle Navigation Company Skipper Canteen.  We shared an appetizer of pan de queijo, which was served with a cilantro and fresh cheese sauce.  They were very tasty, but as you can see from the picture, the portion was way too large.  What are two people going to do with nine breads?

skcheesebread.thumb.jpg.a6ef803cee083a36ccc43124d51875bf.jpg

I ordered a rice noodle dish with head on shrimp, tofu and vegetables in a spicy sambal sauce.  It did have some heat which was nice.  

skperkinsthai.thumb.jpg.ab5583a6faebb58e915249d52eb724c9.jpg

Unfortunately husband's dinner picture did not come out, which is too bad because it was a delicious pan-seared golden tilefish with greens, cassava cake, and a mango-habanero sauce.  No dessert. Fireworks shot

mvmcpfinale.thumb.jpg.862ce32cd5c73367c92d4bbb726053cf.jpg

Our first full days in the parks coincided with the last two days of Disney's annual Food and Wine festival.  We've done this before in a group and it is usually pretty fun.  This year, with only two days and two people, we were unable to sample most of the booths.  We got to eight split between Friday and Saturday, and skipped 41.  A cheese and wine sampler: left to right, gorgonzola with a cranberry chutney and crisp bread (chutney overwhelmed the cheese), and a chardonnay from Sonoma.  The next cheese was supposed to come with aged balsamic and cippolini onions, but we got olives.  Fine, I like olives.  The wine was an Oregon rose.  And finally Italico with apricot chutney pared with a California Petite Syrah

fwcheese.thumb.jpg.0221605b136f64e9f311622140777633.jpg

Next, a black pepper boursin soufflé.  I did not notice the fig jam in the menu description, and so was disappointed when it was not savory.  My fault.

fwboursinsouffle.thumb.jpg.3893b0af4ae3e37bf26b73ce01fbefe5.jpg

Charcuterie in a cone from the Spain booth.

fwcharcruterie.thumb.jpg.4fa6f9534ecadff91bbffcda6918031b.jpg

Spicy hummus fries with tzatziki and chipotle sauces from the Morocco booth.  This was my favorite of the dishes we tried. 

fwhummusfries.thumb.jpg.4c7c85a6f4e0813b2eef8a06861c01d8.jpg

An Impossible burger slider.  We waited longer for this than any other food item we tried. It was very popular.  I liked the wasabi cream it was sauced with but the burger itself tasted grainy.  Husband liked it more than me,  I was done after one bite, he managed a few more.

fwimpossibleburger.thumb.jpg.57e3c5c0fbc1e64bab9d5e23309f1a1a.jpg

Loaded mac and cheese with Neuske's pepper bacon and leeks.  It was hot yesterday so a bite of this was more than enough.  Husband enjoyed it.  

fwmacandcheese.thumb.jpg.5d15a91ce6ebe5445a59e592181f1491.jpg

Striped bass tostada with cabbage slaw and tomatillo sauce.  The slaw and tostada were good but the fish was overcooked

fwstripedbass.thumb.jpg.74a543f9fee42ae5a2b81483d16f0998.jpg

Crab cake with avocado cream and cabbage slaw.  Neither of us liked this much.  The crab was fine, it just was not too exciting

fwcrabvcake.thumb.jpg.a198d36fc4f3e4c436c19ee007a4f4ae.jpg