• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Aleppo Pepper

Shel_B

We're all aware of the tragedy in Aleppo, but this is not the place to discuss it.  Another (albeit smaller and less important) victim has been Aleppo pepper.  I was lucky in that I was able to get a couple of bags of vacuum packed Aleppo pepper before the situation in the area became untenable.  However, these bags shall not last forever.  I'll be ordering this pepper very soon.

Check out the recipe for the Aleppo pepper roasted pork with shallot
vinaigrette too.

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/red-chile-flakes-bukovo-daphnis-and-chloe

www.bonappetit.com
A mildly spicy chile flake that we sprinkle on pizza, pasta, popcorn—okay, everything.

... Shel

That may be, however, I have tried the peppers from various (not all) sources, including Penzys and Spice House, and have found there to be differences, some subtle and some not-so-subtle. I much prefer the Aleppo pepper I got a couple of years ago. In any case, here's a pepper that seems to be worth trying.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Some of the differences you're noticing may be down to the growing conditions, batch, or processing; I've found that dried pepper flakes can vary quite a bit even if they're the same variety. But thanks for posting about this variety; I hadn't heard of it before. I ran out of Aleppo pepper flakes a couple months ago and have been using Marash pepper flakes as a substitute. They're similar in flavor profile to Aleppo and come from the same region.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2