• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

First attempt at Sous Vide and huuuge cookie fail.  I am usually the last one on the block to try new technology stuff, especially in the kitchen.  When I do, I wonder why I waited so long.  Black Friday online sales made this Anova thing too good to pass.  This was SV Chicken Fried Steak.  It was perfectly cooked. Maybe TOO perfect. It felt strange to bite into a piece of meat that was exactly the same texture through and through.  And then the breading fell off while it was browning in the skillet.  I am sure there is a learning curve and I have learned some things already to make the next one better, but the first attempt was not impressive.

Then there was a tape on line on how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and store bought icing. It looked easy. It wasn't.  The cookies went in the oven all nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of blobs.  I re-cut a few and tried to ice them.  Total fail with the icing too. Maybe I got the wrong kind. It globed up and didn't spread and the yellow icing didn't cover like it was supposed to.

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

First attempt at Sous Vide and huuuge cookie fail.  I am usually the last one on the block to try new technology stuff, especially in the kitchen.  When I do, I wonder why I waited so long.  Black Friday online sales made this Anova thing too good to pass.  This was SV Chicken Fried Steak.  It was perfectly cooked. Maybe TOO perfect.  And then the breading fell off while it was browning in the skillet.  I am sure there is a learning curve and I have learned some things already to make the next one better, but the first attempt was not impressive.

Then there was a tape on line on how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and store bought icing. It looked easy. It wasn't.  The cookies went in the oven all nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of blobs.  I re-cut a few and tried to ice them.  Total fail with the icing too. Maybe I got the wrong kind. It globed up and didn't spread and the yellow icing didn't cover like it was supposed to.

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

First attempt at Sous Vide and huuuge cookie fail.  I am usually the last one on the block to try new technology stuff, especially in the kitchen.  When I do, I wonder why I waited so long.  Black Friday online sales made this Anova thing too good to pass.  This was SV Chicken Fried Steak.  It was perfectly cooked. Maybe TOO perfect.  And then the breading fell off while it was browning in the skillet.  I am sure there is a learning curve and I have learned some things already to make the next one better, but the first attempt was not impressive.

Then there was a tape on line on how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and store bought icing. It looked easy. It wasn't.  The cookies went in the oven all nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of blobs.  I re-cut a few and tried to ice them.  Total fail with the icing too. Maybe I got the wrong kind. It didn't spread and the yellow icing didn't cover like it was supposed to.

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg